New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

NAS Storage??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

noodles3

noodles3 is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

I've recently decided to get a NAS storage device which ideally would have the ability to be accessed when not at home and/or allow external users to access files/folders (Family etc).

I considered the Time Capsule but as this cant be accessed away from home discounted it at this stage.

I brought a WD My Book Live but will be taking it back today as the transfer rates are very slow. It took over 2 days to transfer 80GB and accessing files from my Mac Book Pro is also slow.

So, my question is: Do you have any suggestions on which to go for? In terms of budget, I'd really like to get some thing in the $300-500 bracket and it will only be serving 1 laptop.

I like the look of LaCie products but wonder if I will have the same issues.

I hope that somebody can give me some guides...

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
noodles3

Just realised that I have probably posted this in the wrong place.. I will try and move..
QUOTE Thanks
noodles3

Hi All,

I've recently decided to get a NAS storage device which ideally would have the ability to be accessed when not at home and/or allow external users to access files/folders (Family etc).

I also want to use it to store my iPhoto and iTunes library to free up space on my MBP.

I considered the Time Capsule but as this cant be accessed away from home discounted it at this stage.

I brought a WD My Book Live but will be taking it back today as the transfer rates are very slow. It took over 2 days to transfer 80GB and accessing files from my Mac Book Pro is also slow. Maybe this is the norm???

So, my question is: Do you have any suggestions on which to go for? In terms of budget, I'd really like to get some thing in the $300-500 bracket and it will only be serving 1 laptop.

I hope that somebody can give me some guides as I am not familiar in this field.

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Merged threads.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
noodles3

many thanks..
QUOTE Thanks
noodles3

After a bit of looking around the internet Synology seem to be a good match with Apple..

I've narrowed it down to this product http://www.amazon.co.uk/Synology-DS2...dp_ob_title_ce

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Looks interesting. Be interesting to hear your comments if you go that way. I am using D-Link DNS-323 and it has been working well for me other than having to do a restart every week or so so that my Macs will see it on the network.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
ThatMusicianGuy

ThatMusicianGuy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac27" MBP17" MBA13" ATV Ipad3 Iphone4S TC AEBS

It's very often your router that is the cause of issues here. I find the weak offerings supplied by ISP's just not up to the job. For a couple of years I used a Draytek cable router, just using the flashing bells and whistles "Thing" supplied by my iISP as a modem.

I have recently ordered a Pegasus 4TB array, and that will be using thunderbolt on my iMac. At present I have a 3TB TC taking care of backups...That's all it does though, and it works well.

For media streaming, make sure your wifi router is up to the job before buying externals etc.
QUOTE Thanks
hellfried

hellfried is on a distinguished road

I also just got a WD Mybook Live and the speed over my home network just does not cut it especially for big video files. My first time machine backup to the NAS took a whole 24 hours!
As the NAS does not have any USB or thunderbolt ports my question is this; can I use a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adaptor to transfer big files between my 2012 iMac (which has a thunderbolt port) and the NAS?

My blog : Days of Our Life
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Once you leave the iMac, it's just regular Ethernet so that should be fine. Most NAS' support gigabit as well..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
hellfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Once you leave the iMac, it's just regular Ethernet so that should be fine. Most NAS' support gigabit as well..
what do you mean by 'leave the iMac'?

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfried View Post
what do you mean by 'leave the iMac'?
The packets. Once they leave the iMac (actually the thunderbolt to ethernet adapter), it's all ethernet.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Thanks Mike for filling in the missing piece..was posting from iPad in a hurry, so didn't elaborate..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
hellfried

So in summary the files can be transferred from the iMac to the NAS via the ethernet adaptor and vice versa. In essence I will be able to use the NAS as any USB enabled external HD. Thanks guys!

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

This is why they are Network Attached Storage devices.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ISP failed, internet failed, server failed | Airport Express not found »