New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Bonjour compatible range extender?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Willibob

Willibob is on a distinguished road

Hi guys

I have a BT HomeHub which I extend with a Sitecom WL-330 range extender.

All of my devices are connected to the range extender and the internet works fine for all devices.

I recently bought an HP 3050a AirPrint printer which also connects to the range extender and although my MacBook and Windows laptop can print to it my iDevices don't pick up the printer. I just get the 'No AirPrint printers found.'

Sitecom support have told me that the WL-330 doesn't support Bonjour so does anyone know of a range extender which does support Bonjour?

Thanks

Bill
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Most non Apple products don't refer to the Bonjour name, they simply will have a feature known as multicasting. Since using Bonjour may require the company to pay Apple for use of the name, most companies not marketing to Apple buyers don't mention it.

Look for a device that supports multicasting. Unfortunately I'm not to familiar with consumer networking devices. Though I would say that SonicWall and AeroHive support multicasting but are pricey for the home user. You'd be better off going with an Airport Extreme and Airport Express for a sub $300 solution.
QUOTE Thanks
Willibob

Thanks for the pointer regarding multicast.

I'll see what's available.

Regards

Bill
QUOTE Thanks
Willibob

Just thought I'd post how I managed to get my wireless network sorted:

Initial setup:
BT HomeHub with a Sitecom WL-300 range extender. I only connect my devices to the range extender and set their gateway address to that of the BT HomeHub. All devices get Internet access but AirPrint (Bonjour specifically) doesn't work. Sitecom support confirmed that they don't have an extender that will support Bonjour. I also checked with TP-Link and there's doesn't either.

New setup:
I've added a 2Wire BT2700HGV wireless router to my network. I connect this router to the Sitecom WL-300 using a Cat 5 patch lead. All my devices now connect to the 2Wire router and still have their gateway address set to the IP of the BT Homehub. All devices still get Internet access but now Bonjour works like a charm.

The added benefit is that I can site the 2Wire router more centrally (the sitecom extender is just at the edge of the HomeHub's range) and therefore get a stronger signal and faster Internet connectivity for all my devices.

It probably seems excessive having to add another router and having a Cat5 cable in the mix but I had the router lying around and I'm just glad that it's all working now.

Just thought I'd share my solution.

Thanks

Bill
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why are the video and audio out-of-sync when I watch YouTube ? | Time capsule problem »