New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Wireless Bridge

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rob1971

Howdy All!

THis is my first post. I've got a question for ya.... I currently have a newer emac (airport extreme capable) hooked to my dsl router. I'd like to add an older emac (Original Airport capable) to the network wirelessly. As you know, original airport cards are out of sight $ today. I've read that a wireless bridge is the way to go. How does this work? Do I need the wireless bridge for the old emac, and a wireless router also? I'm trying to avoid having to buy an original airport card.

Any suggestions? Or can someone please oversimplify the operation of a wireless bridge?

Once I get the parts I need in hand, I'm fairly confident I can download whatever drivers are necessary and configure everything. I just don't know what I need to purchase!

Thanks again!

rob
QUOTE Thanks
badmojo

If your DSl router is wireless capable you can get an Airport Express, provided your older eMac has an ethernet port. The bridges I looked at on line were $75+ and they have limited fuctionality. The AE can act as a bridge, a wireless print server, a range extender (when coupled with the Extreme Base Station), a wireless streaming audio device, etc. Apple has a refurbed one on it's website for $99, which is a good deal, too. Plus, the AE is 802.11G. The original Airport cards are 802.11 B.

This is the way I'd go, if I was in the same situation.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...15.1.5.1.1.5.0
QUOTE Thanks
Rob1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmojo
If your DSl router is wireless capable you can get an Airport Express, provided your older eMac has an ethernet port. The bridges I looked at on line were $75+ and they have limited fuctionality. The AE can act as a bridge, a wireless print server, a range extender (when coupled with the Extreme Base Station), a wireless streaming audio device, etc. Apple has a refurbed one on it's website for $99, which is a good deal, too. Plus, the AE is 802.11G. The original Airport cards are 802.11 B.

This is the way I'd go, if I was in the same situation.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...15.1.5.1.1.5.0

No, right now the DSL router is wired by ethernet to the newer emac only. The older emac is in our kids room. If I buy a linksys wireless router (roughly $50?) and keep the newer emac hardwired, I can buy an Airport Express and hook it by ethernet to the older emac, and it will work wireless-ly with the linksys? Like in place of the airport card?

Thanks for helping

rob
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yes, that's exactly what it does: It can basically act as a tethered wireless card for your emac.

I'm not too sure if the airport will work with the linksys in the bridge configuration though...
QUOTE Thanks
Rob1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
I'm not too sure if the airport will work with the linksys in the bridge configuration though...

HAs anyone out there used this setup? And Airport Express used as a bridge and a Linksys wirelessrouter?

Thanks

rob
QUOTE Thanks
DuGong

why dont u wire the older emac to the wireless router, use the airport express as a access point and go wireless with the new emac.

thats wat im doin atm. works fine
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Remote Desktop..... | Tech dunce needs remote network help »