New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Remote Desktop -- for different computer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MovableBookLady

MovableBookLady is on a distinguished road

I've gotten a bookkeeping job where I work on my MacBook (X 10.6.8) at home and I need to be able to access the Windows computer at headquarters. I have the address and the password.

I don't seem to have Apple Remote Desktop on my hard drive, even though software updates come through and get installed with no problems (as recently as two weeks ago). This sort of led me to believe I had Remote Desktop but I can't find it anywhere.

The research I've been doing leads me to think all the RD programs are for accessing MY computer from elsewhere, which isn't what I need to do. I need to access THEIR computer from mine. Which program would be the best for me?

I need some guidance asap, please. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Yosemite 10.10.1

The way I understand this to work is that your HQ needs to configure their system to let your Mac access it.
To this effect I understood that you will need to have a Static IP address on your phone line so that their server will always recognise you. You then gain access by whatever log-in procedures they require if any, usually by a web portal. I used to know this as a Virtual Private Network.

Apple Remote Desktop is proprietary software designed for an administrator managing other Macs on a network.

EDIT I've just re-read your OP and you seem to have the address and password, this should give you access via the web but can be limited depending how much your HQ restricts what you can do. Have you tried this yet..it should work in your web-browser..you don't need software .

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
MovableBookLady

Really? All I need to do is put the IP numbers in the url? Cool! I'll try it and report back.

Thanks very much!
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

You can download the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client for Mac from Microsoft.com. It is free. Works exactly like the Windows version.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
MovableBookLady

Yeah, I think I'm going to get that Microsoft version. I'm not running Windows on my Mac, and haven't done any PC work for years, so the learning curve ought to be fun ( / sarcasm). Putting the IP address in the url didn't work, thought it did take me to a spiffy site.

I appreciate all your answers. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Yosemite 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovableBookLady View Post
Yeah, I think I'm going to get that Microsoft version. I'm not running Windows on my Mac, and haven't done any PC work for years, so the learning curve ought to be fun ( / sarcasm). Putting the IP address in the url didn't work, thought it did take me to a spiffy site.

I appreciate all your answers. Thanks.
No probs

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

I use the MS one from my Mac, and it works fine. Same settings as the Windows versions and you can save the settings per host, which is nice.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovableBookLady View Post
I've gotten a bookkeeping job where I work on my MacBook (X 10.6.8) at home and I need to be able to access the Windows computer at headquarters. I have the address and the password.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
You can download the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client for Mac from Microsoft.com. It is free. Works exactly like the Windows version.
RDC is only going to work if sharing is setup for remote desktop. In other words, we need to know how you're supposed to access those machines. Is it RD, VNC, SSH, etc.? I'm sure it's RD but you want to make sure before you find yourself frustrated.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Air print | Wireless printing with Epson 1400? »