New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

wireless and Bluetooth problems on a g4 mac mini

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nidgemo

nidgemo is on a distinguished road

hi everyone - hopefully someone can help!

I have recently been given an old mac mini g4 ppc 1.25 which I thought I would use as a handy media centre... however this thing is as old as the hills and as such doesn't even have built in airport or Bluetooth - I was going to use it with the wifi and a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, so bought a USB wi-fi dongle and a USB Bluetooth dongle, thinking I could just plug them in and I'd be up and running. no such luck!

I'll start with the Bluetooth - the spec says its mac osx compatible but as the machine has no Bluetooth built in there is no Bluetooth section in the prefrences - I'm guessing if I had this I could turn Bluetooth on and set it up? how do I get this? I tried installing Bluetooth 1.5 from the apple site but it told me my machine did not need it. any ideas how I can get this preference installed or available?

second, the wifi - it came with a disc with a mac installer and installed a wi-fi utility, the utility does open and detects my network but there are a load of options available - it does appear to auto detect everything but on putting in my password does not connect. if I go into preferences it seems to be picking up the USB dongle as an Ethernet port?

all help and suggestions appreciAted - any questions or requests for screenshots I'll provide people with anything they need to help!

any suggestions, links etc appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
nidgemo

also worth noting - I'm an experienced mac user and generally know what I'm doing but all the same, try to make any instructions as clear and step by step as possible! thanks
QUOTE Thanks
nidgemo

I have recently been given an old mac mini g4 ppc 1.25 which I thought I would use as a handy media centre... however this thing is as old as the hills and as such doesn't even have built in airport or Bluetooth - I was going to use it with the wifi and a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, so bought a USB wi-fi dongle and a USB Bluetooth dongle, thinking I could just plug them in and I'd be up and running. no such luck!

I'll start with the Bluetooth - the spec says its mac osx compatible but as the machine has no Bluetooth built in there is no Bluetooth section in the prefrences - I'm guessing if I had this I could turn Bluetooth on and set it up? how do I get this? I tried installing Bluetooth 1.5 from the apple site but it told me my machine did not need it. any ideas how I can get this preference installed or available?

second, the wifi - it came with a disc with a mac installer and installed a wi-fi utility, the utility does open and detects my network but there are a load of options available - it does appear to auto detect everything but on putting in my password does not connect. if I go into preferences it seems to be picking up the USB dongle as an Ethernet port?

all help and suggestions appreciAted - any questions or requests for screenshots I'll provide people with anything they need to help!

QUOTE Thanks
nidgemo

QUOTE Thanks
nidgemo

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

An Airport Extreme Card will be the shot. They are quite cheap on eBay. The card is an 802.11b/g. The Bluetooth dongle needs to be a D-Link as many others are not compatible. Never found any WiFi dongle that works with a Mac yet and tried for years. problem seems to be drivers.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the Airport Extreme Card you will need:-

NEW Airport Extreme Card A1026 Powerbook iBook eMac iMac PowerMac MacMini, G4 G5 | eBay

Never got a wireless dongle to work yet with a Mac of any description. Drivers seem to be the problem. A D-Link USB dongle may be the shot for Bluetooth.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

This is the Airport Extreme Card you will need:-

NEW Airport Extreme Card A1026 Powerbook iBook eMac iMac PowerMac MacMini, G4 G5 | eBay

Never got a wireless dongle to work yet with a Mac of any description. Drivers seem to be the problem. A D-Link USB dongle may be the shot for Bluetooth.

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Do not double post. Staff do NOT like it!

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

And to say nothing of triple posting!

QUOTE Thanks
nidgemo

thanks mate - unfortunately, from what I have seen, the airport cards are a nightmare to install on the minis, so I was hoping for a dongle solution first!

Hopefully someone else has an idea I can try out before having to go down that route.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
nidgemo

thanks mate - unfortunately, from what I have seen, the airport cards are a nightmare to install on the minis, so I was hoping for a dongle solution first!

Hopefully someone else has an idea I can try out before having to go down that route.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
nidgemo

As for the dongle - I have one OK, it even claims to be mac compatible, and instructions simply say plug it in, go to "bluetooth" in the preferences - and that's as far as I can get, as I don't have the bluetooth preferences pane - I'm really more wondering how to get this - can I install it seperately, even though the mac doesn't think I need it as it's detecting no bluetooth?
QUOTE Thanks
nidgemo

As for the dongle - I have one OK, it even claims to be mac compatible, and instructions simply say plug it in, go to "bluetooth" in the preferences - and that's as far as I can get, as I don't have the bluetooth preferences pane - I'm really more wondering how to get this - can I install it seperately, even though the mac doesn't think I need it as it's detecting no bluetooth?
QUOTE Thanks
nidgemo

OK - wireless sorted!

I had my encryption set on my router at TKIP, changed it to AES and hey presto, up it went.

Hopefully this can help someone else looking for a cheap wi-fi fix - certainly not bad for 5! I bought it here...

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Now, if I can just get the bluetooth prefs avaioable for me to turn on and set up, I'll have a fantastic media centre!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wireless router | Wireless help with Guest Network at Hospital »