New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Extreme & Time Machine

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Darker Times

Darker Times is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro i5 - 24" iMac c2d - Mac Mini c2d - iPad 2 - iPhone 4 - tv 3

Hi

I have an Airport Extreme with a HDD (1TB) connected to it, which I use with Time Machine. Everything works how it should, however, I went into TM to retrieve a file that I had deleted a month or so ago, and the TM machine shows that I can only go back around 10 days. There are no other back-ups before this date.

Now, I may be answering my own question here, but a week or so ago, a message was displayed saying that TM needed to make a complete new back up, and was it OK to proceed and I clicked yes. Is this why I can only go back around 10 days? I would have thought that the point of TM is that it would keep an archive of files, regardless.

This is the second time I have had the message regarding re-building the back up, but did not notice if it had erased all previous files. BTW, I have about 800GB free on the TM HDD, so it is not a space issue.

Thanks.

Champagne for my real friends.......Real pain for my sham friends.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

You've answered your own question to an extent. A whole, fresh, backup will replace all the previous incremental backups.

The issue that needs resolving is why it's prompting to do a full backup again. I'd suggest it's because some kind of fault was detected with the TM backup or disk.

It's worth checking the disk for errors etc.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Darker Times

Darker Times is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro i5 - 24" iMac c2d - Mac Mini c2d - iPad 2 - iPhone 4 - tv 3

Thanks mrplow for your reply. I figured as much with regard to the re-building deleting
the old back ups. You are right though regarding why it is doing it?.......it shouldn't. Like I say, this is the second time I have had this message displayed in 6 months.

I don't know what could cause it to do this, unless it is disc errors, as you have kindly pointed out. I will have to do some thorough checking.

Many thanks.

Champagne for my real friends.......Real pain for my sham friends.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to manage Firefox add-on in 10.0 | using the enter key in the finder.....a question »