New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Problems connecting a wireless printer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gio2010

Gio2010 is on a distinguished road

We just moved and had to switch all our wireless configurations etc. We now have a Cable router, recognized by all our laptops (Mac and Windows) and by our wireless printer (a Canon PIXMA MP990).
The problem: when we try to print from any of the laptops, we get a "communication error" on the printer dialog box. Sometimes the problem is solved by switching the printer off and then on again, but last night the behavior became even more erratic: would print (very slowly) the last page of a two-pages document, but not the first, or wouldn't print at all (all the same saying-printing, printing, printing).
I wonder if it is a network problem or a wrong setting?
Thanks in advance for your help
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I have that very same printer and had similar issues when I first set it up. Had to repeat the procedure three or four times before I got it working right. Unfortunately I don't remember the exact fix for this problem. Here are a couple of things I did find helpful.

1. Sometimes I find it necessary to connect the Mac directly to the printer and install the driver as though I am going to print via USB. I know this is not supposed to be necessary but it seems to help at times.

2. Now you can install the rest of the software and follow the procedure to set up wireless printing.

3. When completing the setup it is sometimes easier for the printer to find things if you let your network broadcast its network name rather than hiding it. If you prefer to run the network with the name hidden you can change this back once things are working properly.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

How is the printer added to the system? I have had an issue not too long ago with Bonjour. Kept on getting the same communication error. I ended up removing it again and then re-adding through it's IP address. That worked no problem...

QUOTE Thanks
Gio2010

Gio2010 is on a distinguished road

In the other (previous) setting, the printer was hardwired to the router and the laptops were communicating with it wirelessly. In the new, current setting all machines are on the wireless network, printer included. But I did not try to completely remove it and start from scratch (installation disk).
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You might try these directions Setup Secrets for Canon Printers | Ted Landau's User Friendly View | The Mac Observer. I know they they are for 10.6 but I think you will see what's going on. Hi is focussing om wired ethernet but the wireless process is the same if I remember correctly. Setup Secrets for Canon Printers | Ted Landau's User Friendly View | The Mac Observer

Make sure you know the name of the wireless network, security type (WEP, WPA, WPA2 etc), and password. As I mentioned the Canon utilities seem to prefer the network name is visible at least till things are connected.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

My experience with Canon wireless printers has been whenever you make changes to the system in any way, (network, router, etc.) the printer has to be removed and installed again. To give you an example.... I changed my ISP router (Verizon) but used the same encryption, SSID, pass phrase etc, but my Canon wireless printer refused to communicate. The solution was to completely remove it, run the Canon network software again, let it discover the printer, and then it finally worked. A royal pain.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Good advice there chscag. Also when the printer looses power for any length of time (power outage for example) you will probably need to renter the network name, security type, and password. You don't usually have to reinstall the driver though.

QUOTE Thanks
killa

killa is on a distinguished road

I too, had been having the "communications error" with MAC and a Canon MG6250. After much frustration, I discovered that the culprit is the wireless router configuration.

With my router, by default, its DHCP server function automatically allocates an IP address to each device that connects to the router. When a device disconnects, its "lease" on that IP address expires and it may not necessarily get the same IP address next time it connects, especially if other devices are also being connected and disconnected.

I changed the settings to give the printer a permanent lease of an IP address and the problem was solved.

You will need to consult the user manual on how to make the setting change for your particular make and model.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Poor NAS performance with Snow Leopard | Slow downloading email attachments »