Thread: iMac-wireless or cabled
02-01-2012, 10:58 AM #1
iMac-wireless or cabled
- Member Since
- Nov 14, 2010
- Orange County, NY
- iMac-27":OS 10.11.1.4GHz:16G B iPhone 6S iPad v4
Setting up iMac on desk that has my router sitting right there. Better to connect wirelessly or with cable. Linksys router. Current home network was created with PC laptops
02-01-2012, 11:13 AM #2
- Member Since
- Apr 06, 2011
- Louisville, KY - USA
- MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
If you are only accessing the internet, it will not matter. Your modem to the internet is your bottleneck. I know in the US, the fastest home broadband connections only get up to 50mbps. Wireless G is 54mbps.
For sharing files and copying inside the network, it will not matter unless all the devices are connected via ethernet cable. The slowest ethernet connection is 100mbps with the fastest being 1gbps. But, all devices need to be on the ethernet to take advantage of the speed increase.
* I am on Wireless N - just more than 300mbps between all N devices.
* My NAS device is Gigabit Ethernet, plugged into my router which is also Gigabit.
* I wanted to copy over 1.5 TB of data from different devices to the NAS box.
* I plugged in my MBP via ethernet which supports Gigabit and did the copy.
* It was just over 3 times as fast as doing it wirelessly. Now, however, with everything copied to the one device, I am back to Wireless N.MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By absolutwillie in forum Internet, Networking, and WirelessReplies: 0Last Post: 09-13-2009, 09:01 AM
By n2soccer31 in forum Apple DesktopsReplies: 5Last Post: 05-03-2009, 05:09 PM
By divotman in forum Internet, Networking, and WirelessReplies: 1Last Post: 11-15-2008, 09:55 PM
By Mongamer in forum Internet, Networking, and WirelessReplies: 3Last Post: 10-12-2007, 07:11 PM
By poobah in forum Internet, Networking, and WirelessReplies: 7Last Post: 05-24-2005, 03:11 AM