New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Wireless iBook problem (HELP!)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

teachergenki

teachergenki is on a distinguished road

Hello, Mac Forums!

I'm having a wireless problem with my iBook that I just can't figure out.

iBook PowerPC G3 900MHz (M9018LL/A) with 10.4.11 installed.

It will connect via Ethernet at my home.
It will connect via AirPort at my friend's house, but not at my own.

I have a MacBook and a Windows machine that work via wireless, but I can't get the iBook to work. When I try log in to linksys with my password it tells me that it's invalid. The password, however, will work via Ethernet.

If the iBook didn't work at my friend's house, I would think that the AirPort card was dead or something, but it did work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

(callmegenki@hotmail.com)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What encryption you using on your Home Wifi on the Linksys? WEP?? WPA?
QUOTE Thanks
teachergenki

I'm pretty sure it's WPA2 Personal, whatever that's supposed to mean. I remember writing it down, but not what it meant.

Thanks for helping!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

ok, one issue i have seen is the other security setting on WPA2 which is either AES or TKIP. Try changing that setting. Seen a few macs that would not connect to one option but did to the other.
QUOTE Thanks
teachergenki

Okay, how do I do that exactly. I can't do it now, as I'm at work, but is there like a toggle switch on the back of the router or something or do I have to access this setting online?

Also, if I switch from AES to TKIP or vice versa will I have connection problems with the other 3 computers that are currently working? When it comes to this type of stuff, I'm a newbie.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Have not messed with Tiger in a while but in OSX under Networking and Wireless you select the network and edit and there should be a toggle right in the OS. That way it will not affect the rest of your network.

Do remember this is just a guess as I have seen that with some Macs and many Linksys routers using WPA2. Cant hurt to check. I will boot up my old 900 Mhz iBook with 10.4.11 and see what options are there and post a screen shot.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I have a MacBook and a Windows machine that work via wireless, but I can't get the iBook to work. When I try log in to linksys with my password it tells me that it's invalid. The password, however, will work via Ethernet.
Ethernet does not require a password for internet access. And, since your home network is using WPA2 it's likely your iBook does not understand that form of encryption. Your friend is probably using WEP (lower form of encryption) which is why it will connect.

As a test, go into your router and set the encryption to WEP. See if it will work that way. Of course you'll have to reset the password also. WEP is really not secure but as a test it should be OK.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

The 900 Mhz G4 iBook I have is connecting to my networks and most are wpa2. Booting it up now to check.
QUOTE Thanks
teachergenki

What you say makes perfect sense. I thought it would be something like that. As it test, it would be okay, but I don't think I would want to leave it on WEP if that is going to limit my security.

To test this, though, I would need to go online and access my router?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

iBook G4 14" 900 Mhz with OSX 10.4.11 Tiger. WPA2 works with my 8 hotspots I have set up here for testing. ALL are WPA2.

Sad thing is there is no toggle like in 10.5 for AES or TKIP. Most of the routers here are Linksys WRT54gl's and one Dlink, Netgear and Apple AE.

Just in case there is any doubt, here is a screen shot. IBook 900 Mhz G4 OSX 10.4.11.

All listed WiFi networks work 100%.

This is posted from the above iBook hooked to a Linksys WRT54GL WPA2.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (97.8 KB, 8 views)
QUOTE Thanks
teachergenki

So, what you're saying is mine should work, too. Unless of course, having an iBook G3, as opposed to a G4, makes a big difference. It must be something else, but what? Maybe I'm just not setting my iBook up correctly. When I go into my Network Prefs and choose AirPort, it asks me to indicate the network I'd like to join. There's only one there, linksys, and that's the one I use. It then asks me to enter my password. I do this, and I know this to be correct, but it says it's invalid.

P.S. My replies are sometimes long in coming because I'm working. Fortunately, today the students (adults) are taking a test, so I don't have much to do except make sure they don't cheat (which they never do).
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Me bad, when I first read your post I thought you said 900 Mhz G4! The G3 uses an older Airport card where this 900 Mhz G4 is an Airport Extreme. With the older Airport Card and Tiger I don't think WPA2 was supported. I have a friends 800 Mhz G4 with Tiger on it. Will go check that out.
QUOTE Thanks
teachergenki

Well then, if that's the case, switching to WEP may indeed work, after all. If I did so, though, will my other computers have any trouble connecting? They shouldn't, right?

I should mention that these computers are in the privacy of my own home. So, the only security issue I would have would be neighbors filching my wireless signal. I suppose WEP would make it easier for them. Of course, I'd be wiling to bet my immediate neighbors know little to nothing about hacking computer signals.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Me bad, when I first read your post I thought you said 900 Mhz G4! The G3 uses an older Airport card where this 900 Mhz G4 is an Airport Extreme. With the older Airport Card and Tiger I don't think WPA2 was supported. I have a friends 800 Mhz G4 with Tiger on it. Will go check that out.
Yeah, I don't think his G3 supports WPA2 with the older Airport card although I may be wrong. Anyway, let's see if he can test it with WEP as that should tell us.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachergenki View Post
Well then, if that's the case, switching to WEP may indeed work, after all. If I did so, though, will my other computers have any trouble connecting? They shouldn't, right?

I should mention that these computers are in the privacy of my own home. So, the only security issue I would have would be neighbors filching my wireless signal. I suppose WEP would make it easier for them. Of course, I'd be wiling to bet my immediate neighbors know little to nothing about hacking computer signals.
WEP is only insecure if you have neighbors that are smart enough to crack it. Although WEP is easy enough to crack, someone would first have a desire to do so and then, the knowledge. Your other computers would have no problem whatsoever connecting to WEP.

I should mention that some modern routers no longer support WEP as an encryption option. But give it a try anyway.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to remove a random script | macbook and xbox »