New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

ISP Failure on MBP, Success on Mac Mini

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xntemet

xntemet is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm having difficulty troubleshooting a problem with my MacBook Pro's network connection.

Here are the network statuses:
Airport - Green
Airport Settings- Green
Network Settings- Green
ISP - Red
Internet- Red
Server- Red

When I try the network diagnostics, I get this page:
Network Diagnostics cannot fix the current networking problems.

Check with your Internet service provider or network administrator and make sure you are using the correct network settings.

I am using my university's internet, and they are vague in giving out who is the exact ISP.

What's really strange is that my Mac Mini's internet seems to work just fine, and it uses the same airport for its wifi service. Here are the specs for both machines:

MacBook Pro:
Mac OS X Version 10.6.8
Processor 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory - 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

TCP/IP
Configure IPv4: Using DHCP
Configure IPv6: Automatically

DNS Servers:

Mac Mini:
Mac OS X Version 10.7.2
Processor- 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory- 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Same TCP/IP and DNS Server specs as the MBP

I've deduced that the airport's probably not the problem since the mini's not working, and the ISP's probably alright too for the same reason, so I'm not too sure what's acting up :/
QUOTE Thanks
xntemet

Also, I've just tried out plugging the ethernet cable directly. That doesn't work either. :< Is there a virus or something out there that blocks the Internet?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

No but there is a DNS Changer Trojan. If the DNS is different from the Mini download the Tool and run it.

http://www.dnschanger.com/

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
xntemet

Unfortunately, that isn't it either. The DNS are identical. I just pinged my MacBook Pro's IP address and it sends back packets- makes me utterly befuddled... I'm hoping I'll learn something in my current networks class that will let me solve this strange problem.

Also, another update: I manually changed my IP address and made sure it was available. The new IP address also sends back ICMP packets when my mini pings it. Now when I run the diagnostics, it says my Internet Service Provider works now, but my Internet and Server doesn't! :< I'm really confused why the internet's being blocked when the computer's so obviously connected to the network!
QUOTE Thanks
xntemet

This issue is RESOLVED.

Apparently my school's proxy was getting in the way, but wasn't working properly and asking for authentication when it should have. I reset the proxy settings and also changed the DHCP settings back from manual to automatic and applied the settings- and the proxy finally kicked in again. (At the very least, from what I know I think it's a proxy... but I could be wrong).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "Can't verify ID of this website" error | Force Airport Express channel? »