New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Wireless streaming of 2011 Mac Mini display to a Flatscreen TV, what do I need??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

waveydavey

waveydavey is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I've owned a Mac Mini (my first Mac) for a few months now and it's primary use has always been for computer audio. Because the audio application (not iTunes) I use is 'Windows only', I have partitioned the SSD in favour of Windows 7, and I use this most of the time. Trouble is, now that I am relocating my rig to my girlfriend's house, the TV (which I use as a monitor for the Mac) will be about 20 feet (straight line distance across the carpet!) away from the Mac (which needs to be with the hi-fi gear at the other end of the lounge). So, I will need to either pair the Mac with another idevice such as an iTouch or iPad2 or (preferrably) stream the display information from the Mac to the LCD TV.

I must confess that I am a complete newbie on this sort of issue and would appreciate any advice as to the best way to solve this conundrum. I assume that I'd need something like an Apple TV connected to the TV via HDMI to act as a receiver for streamed display data, but I am completely guessing here!

Also, is Airport Express needed for this, and if so, what's the sum total of the hardware I'd need (Apple TV and Airport Express)??

In terms of the existing home network access (which may or may not be relevant), she has a wireless hub in the next room - it's not rapid, but it works OK for net browsing.

Thanks in advance to anyone with some answers!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

You really need something like a HDMI wireless sender/receiver.

One connects to the HDMI out of your Mac Mini, one connects to the HDMI in on the TV.

Have a search around for WHDI devices.

here's an example:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/edima...s-3-mac-etc-sc

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
waveydavey

waveydavey is on a distinguished road

The answer's so simple I (rightly) feel embarrassed about the question now! Cheers for the quick and helpful reply - that link was to a good on-line deal too.

Woah, I am such a technology dinosaur these days!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac OS 9 Wireless Problem | Wireless problems. »