Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Internet, Networking, and Wireless (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/internet-networking-wireless/)
-   -   Help wireless dongle (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/internet-networking-wireless/263911-help-wireless-dongle.html)

Bloomy 01-17-2012 04:26 PM

Help wireless dongle

I have recently got a Mac Pro and it doesn't have built in wireless so when I tried plugging my dongle that I have used on my PC it doesn't recognize it... I am using Netgear for my wireless router... Could someone send me a link to a dongle that will work on my Mac?

EDIT: or maybe another way of getting internet on it without using an ethernet cable?

Pigstick 01-17-2012 06:07 PM

Mac Pro does come with built in wireless. Go to Utilities and open up Airport Utility and you should be able to set up your system.

chscag 01-17-2012 07:58 PM

I may be mistaken, but I thought the wireless card (airport card) was an optional purchase for the Mac Pro?

To the OP:

The wireless dongle for your PC will likely not work with your Mac Pro without proper drivers. Check with the manufacturer to see if there are drivers available for the version of OS X you're running.

Slydude 01-17-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 1357031)
I may be mistaken, but I thought the wireless card (airport card) was an optional purchase for the Mac Pro?

To the OP:

The wireless dongle for your PC will likely not work with your Mac Pro without proper drivers. Check with the manufacturer to see if there are drivers available for the version of OS X you're running.

You're right. On at least some and perhaps all of the models it was optional. Correct on the dongle drivers as well--especially under Liom. I have two currently and last time I checked neither worked under Lion due to drivers but they were fine under Snow Leopard.

Pigstick 01-18-2012 05:43 AM

Apologies for the error. Kind of weird though? The tech specs for the Mac Pro where I am list:

Built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking;3 IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible

Bluetooth 2.1 + Enhanced Data Rate (EDR) wireless technology

pigoo3 01-18-2012 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pigstick (Post 1357236)
Apologies for the error. Kind of weird though? The tech specs for the Mac Pro where I am list:

Nothing "weird" about it...depends on which Mac Pro model?;) There were/are about 4-5 generations of Mac Pro's since 2006...and over that time there have been 20+ different Mac Pro models....we cannot be "generically" talking about Mac Pro's. So the EXACT model of Mac Pro makes a BIG difference what features were built-in...and which were optional.

That being said...Mac Pro models (1,1 and 2,1) from the 2006 to January 2008 time frame had optional bluetooth...Mac Pro models since January, 2008 came with built-in bluetooth.

- Nick

Bloomy 01-18-2012 07:42 AM

I don't know which model it is, all I know is that it's come from a school... It doesn't have built in wireless and I've tried the airport and I can't get anything from that

harryb2448 01-18-2012 04:41 PM

Try the ethernet cable first up, and if all is well then consider a second hand Airport and Bluetooth, if needed, card/s. They abound on eBay from Hong Kong sellers who generally provide a warranty.

Good luck with the dongle never got one to work yet on a G4, G5 or Mac Pro. problems is proper drivers. The last one I tried, a Realtek was Mac compatible allegedly, with Panther the final OS supported!

pigoo3 01-18-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloomy (Post 1357256)
... It doesn't have built in wireless and I've tried the airport and I can't get anything from that

Yes...an airport card was optional as well in early model Mac Pro's.

- Nick