New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Express - extending network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

j0nb0y32

j0nb0y32 is a jewel in the roughj0nb0y32 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)

so, i have bought the Airport Express to try and extend the wireless network to the first floor of the house.

i have followed the onscreen instructions and the green light is/was glowing...however, the network is not enhanced/extended one bit. i have dismantled it again and checked the signal strength from the downstairs router/Time Capsule and it is the same..

I have read and re-read the search options re- 'extending the network' and they all go over my head technically, so what i am looking for is some simple / dumbed down instructions that i may be able to follow, to get this thing working..

when i went through the on screen instructions (Automatic not Manual) it did not give me the option of 'extending the network' as it appears on numerous youtube guidance etc..but i did upgrade the firmware before i started. i went through the process and it completed the exercise, hence the green light.

i have tried to add a little pic of what i am trying to do at the bottom of this page (not sure why it is at the bottom)

i am not sure what i have done, but the Mac is now wobbling a bit, sometimes it can detect the Express, sometimes it cannot. Sometimes the internet kicks out and then re-engages..i am sure they are not connected to this mess but the mind does boggle sometimes. As i write this thread the Express has popped in and out of the utility list 3 times and now it has disappeared, whilst the signal in the room upstairs has been constant enough to download web pages..not sure if that is strong enough though.

so, the Specifics:

Router - Thompson TG585 v8
Base Station - Time Capsule, firmware v7.6
Express, firmware v7.6

any help would be greatly appreciated

J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg network.jpg (258.8 KB, 44 views)
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

The picture you've attached and priciple are all sound.

There's now way to determine the enviromental factors remotely but here are a few things that come to mind.

Unplug the Express.

Can your Mac 'see' the network being broadcast from the Extreme?

If you can connect direct to the extreme use iStumbler and make a note of the signal strength/noise etc.

Now plug the express back in. If it's setup correctly and is extending the network (rather than creating one on it's own) your Mac should switch to the express as it should have a stronger signal. You can confirm this by going back into iStumbler and see if the noise has drop and strength has gone up.

That will at least tell you the connection there and improved (or not).

It's also worth trying the same exercise using 2.4ghz N rather than 5ghz N

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
j0nb0y32

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
The picture you've attached and priciple are all sound.

There's now way to determine the enviromental factors remotely but here are a few things that come to mind.

Unplug the Express.

Can your Mac 'see' the network being broadcast from the Extreme?

If you can connect direct to the extreme use iStumbler and make a note of the signal strength/noise etc.

Now plug the express back in. If it's setup correctly and is extending the network (rather than creating one on it's own) your Mac should switch to the express as it should have a stronger signal. You can confirm this by going back into iStumbler and see if the noise has drop and strength has gone up.

That will at least tell you the connection there and improved (or not).

It's also worth trying the same exercise using 2.4ghz N rather than 5ghz N
Thanks Mrplow, i will give it a go tonight and report back tomorrow.

many thanks for taking the time

J
QUOTE Thanks
j0nb0y32

Before i download istumbler, i did a quick reckie on the web. i cannot see a version that works with Lion. does it matter?

cheers

J
QUOTE Thanks
j0nb0y32

I have downloaded stumbler but it didn't really provide an insight into what was wrong. however i have downloaded AU 6.0 and following a read from OneMoreThing's article on the updated AU - AirPort Utility 6.0 for OS X Lion retools interface to match iOS counterpart I noticed that the image, which i have appended below, is different from the one i have set up.

The one i have has the time capsule and the AE aligned, i.e. side by side and then connected to the internet...where as the one attached, has them AE' (s) configured through the TC.

how do i change the configuration to make it more like the attach image?

many thanks in advance

J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg network 1.jpg (18.0 KB, 14 views)
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Firstly, part way down the iStumbler page:
Quote:
iStumbler Release 100 GM Candidate 3 is available on the beta page
it includes a number of bug fixes and enhancements for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.
Secondly, It's worth updating the firmware on the Office AE.

You're pic doesn't show the Living Room AE so I'll ignore that and assume it's working OK.

Thirdly, once the firmware has been installed on the Office AE. Press and hold the reset button until the light. Once it re-appears in Airport Utility run through the setup wizard selecting extend network etc.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't connect to WiFi | WiFi issues MacBook Pro »