New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Browsing speed and download speed has gone down suddenly...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macbookpro123

macbookpro123 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz dual core,Intel Core i5,4GB,500GB HDD,13.3'', iPhone4

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and I really need help. Actually I was using my iPhone4 connecting it to my macbook pro for internet. At the starting browsing speed was excellent as well was the download speed was very much good(unto 3.1 mbps). It was with me for the past 1 month. But suddenly since few days before, my browsing speed is almost dead and the download speed has come to 3.1kbps. Plz guys suggest me and help me out.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

You've given very little information about where your connection comes from; which country you're in, which version of iOS, connection provider etc. So it's difficult to be specific but here's a few things to consider/try.

Restart your phone and Mac.

Get the Speed test app installed on your phone. Run the test. Look at the results.
If you get slow speeds it's your mobile data connection that's the issue rather than the connection between phone and Mac.

To tether the iPhone (in most countries) you need a contract/tariff that permits tethering or a paid add-on specifically for tethering.

In many cases this data is limited in quantity (500mb per month, 1gb, 2gb etc). Often once this allowance is used up providers, rather than severing the data completely will restrict the bandwidth.
Also if a provider recognises that tethering is being attempted when the contract/tariff doesn't permit it the connection may be restricted.
Again this is all educated guessing without further, specific, information.

You may also be experiencing an outage at a cell tower, so a look at the provider Service Status page of the website could be helpful.

Finally, once you're happy your hardware is performing OK and that you should be getting a stronger connection a call to your phone provider support may well be the order of the day.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
macbookpro123

Mac Specs: Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz dual core,Intel Core i5,4GB,500GB HDD,13.3'', iPhone4

Ok buddy, i am from India, I am using 10.7.2 version(Mac) and iOS 5(iPhone4), Its a 3G connection from the service provider without any contract.
Restarted both phone as well as the Mac.

Did the speed test in the phone, its coming 2.07(download) and 0.72(upload)mbps.

My iPhone4 is not under any contract.

I have still got 700mb free to use.

And I more thing to add, the speed is very much good when i am using it only in my phone. It was working fine whenever i used to connect it with my Mac but now its not.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

You're maybe not under contract exactly but you must pay a provider for the service. The question remains does the tariff you're on support tethering?

If you're phone's getting a reasonable data rate and you're tethered Mac isn't I'd suggest tethering isn't supported and your tethered traffic is being throttled.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
macbookpro123

Ok thanks buddy, I will have a check as u told, may be true with the tariff issue.
Thanx again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless will not connect | Streaming... »