New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Secure a server : Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RealDanMan

RealDanMan is on a distinguished road

Hello!
I've had trouble searching for this as my problem is quite complicated (for a search engine) so I hope you guys can help me

Basically I would like a way to password protect my macbook pro from people who may be logging into the server I am currently connected to, but it is slightly more complicated than that.
I am in a student accommodation (a large accommodation with a shared network supplied through an ethernet port in my room), and I have a wireless router (WEP protected) hooked into that server. From this router I connect my Desktop Windows 7 PC, a PS3 and Macbook Pro wirelessly.
I notice that when I go to Finder > Connect to a server, it lists other macs in the accommodation, so I am getting worried that they will be able to connect to me and view/delete my files (if they were so inclined).

I have not setup any password protections apart from the default login password for the Macbook and I do have the firewall active, but I am wondering whether there is a way to password protect my server so that when anyone goes to connect it forces a password authentication.

I hope this is legible and any help really would be appreciated as Im slightly worried

Thanks guys!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Two Routers and need to share an Airport Disk on the Internet | How Can I Reduce Data Usage on 3/4G Modem? »