New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Net booting from a Superduper sparse bundle

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bluemoon222

bluemoon222 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20

I have written a backup sparse bundle to a LaCie Nas using Shirt Pocket's Super Duper utility. I am now wondering how I can validate the backup image by doing a test net boot from that image ?

I can see that OSX System Preferences allows me to set the Mac to NetBoot but I am sure I need to place the boot image on a suitably enabled share and I have an idea my AFP enabled LaCie is not going to be sufficient ?

FWIW I have 10.6.8 on a MacBook Pro, 10.6.8 on an iMac20 core 2 duo and 10.7.2 on a MacPro at my disposal in cases any of these help ?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Netboot only works from another Mac as the host, usually an OSX server

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
bluemoon222

When you say "usually"......does that mean there is a way to make an OSX desktop image serve a NetBoot ?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

By usually I mean OSX server - but you can get netboot to run from another mac

I think it needs a user account on the host mac, so in short - you need it hosted on a mac

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
bluemoon222

Any pointers to how to do that would be very handy ?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keywords/Links not appearing in Google Searches, Websites | Having internet problems need help. »