New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

help with network lan setup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gow75

gow75 is on a distinguished road

i know this quesiton has probably been asked a lot but i cant find a solution other than things i have already done.

issue is: I have a windows 7 laptop on wireless and a Imac pro lion lastest updated, I have enabled smb sharing for lion. I have an external hard drive connected to the mac via USB. I have shared it out. on the imac i can see the hp laptop but can not login to any shares on it with the local user id and password on the laptop nor can i browse to the mac on the windows laptop and access the shared external hard drive. I can ping both machines from windows and vice versa so no issue their they are alive. i just cant get the hard drive shared out properly for the windows laptop to see it and access it. is there a tutortial out there for step step any help would be appreicated thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
gow75

gow75 is on a distinguished road

why cant anyone help. this has to be an easy fix. my main goal is to access my Imac via wireless lan. both machines are on wireless. i can ping the imac, see it on the network under network places but cant access the external hard drive that is connected to the Imac via usb, i have shared it out via smb etc it prompts for user name and password i put that in does not work. I dont know what the helll.
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

When authenticating to a computer you should use this method:

machinename\username
password

i.e. if the computers name is mac and the user's name is Joe and you are asked for the user:pass when connecting,...

mac\joe
password

Same on iMac

If the PC name is Win7 and the user is Bill, on the Mac you want to access something on the PC, when asked for user:pass

Win7\bill
password
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help wireless dongle | Mac OS 9 Wireless Problem »