New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

building a network with time machines

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

flynfish

flynfish is on a distinguished road

I have large area to cover and am wanting to use my 3 TC for an extended network.
So far no problem. Questions
1. do I use static IP for TC at the modem and "join" the other 2 TC's or DCHP all
I seem to get some issues when all are in DCHP and I have no idea why?
2. I have a wired network with a switch also, Switch is directly connected to modem with most hardwires ports after that switch BUT my 3 TC are connected directly to modern and not switch, see any issue with this?

I have Comcast moden, netgear 24 port switch.

Just looking for my best config please,
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Connect the modem to TC1, have this as the DHCP router and have it create a wireless network. Connect the switch to TC1. A static IP is not necessary.

To extend your network use airport utility to setup TC2 & TC3 to extend an existing wireless network.

You're getting issues when all three are issuing IP addresses by DCHP because unless you limit the range to prevent overlaps you'll get clashes.
A single router (TC1 in my suggested config) should act as the DCHP server for the entire network.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
flynfish

Thank you for the info I will set up

Appriciated !
QUOTE Thanks
flynfish

One last question, I can connect TC2 and TC3 to ethernet, should I NOT do this and only extend the wireless or does a ethernet connection create a better ring?
QUOTE Thanks
flynfish

I am also lossing speen at TC 2 and TC 3, TC 1 has great speed 5 - 10 Mps while TC 3 has under 1 Mps? thoughts
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

What is it you're trying to do exactly?
When you say 'extend the network' I assumed you meant wireless because if you are able to use cable then just use cable. Which kind of makes TC2 and 3 redundant. Perhaps if you could give a few more details of what equipment you're connecting and how you want it connected.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

As to your last post ... How are you measuring the speed?

QUOTE Thanks
flynfish

Ok I will try to explain
I have the main internet come to a closet upstairs, I have Cat 5 to all rooms from their. I am connecting all of those to switch that is getting it's internet feed from the TC 1 as you suggested. My desire for Wifi to be extended is that many of the divides we now have are not ethernet compadible. So I thought I would create a wireless "hotspot" with the additional 2 TRC's. This way there is only one wireless network to join from any point in the home.Plus I can use the Time machines for various computer backup areas.

Is it better to just plug in the TC's 2 and 3 into the ethernet that is coming in after the switch and if I do this is it still broadcasting just one wireless network.

I use speakeasy and speediest.net
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

With cabling in place the best coverage will be to have the TCs spread out around the house connected to Ethernet but creating a wifi network. Use the same SSID and password on every TC

QUOTE Thanks
flynfish

Thank you
so no need to Join or extend,,, just create and use same info on each is this correct
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

That's it yes

QUOTE Thanks
flynfish

Appreciate the time and help. Be well
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Very slow network directory listing - but fast data transfer speed once listed? | connecting older emac to airport extreme base..hlp! »