New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Router to Set Time Limits for Internet Use ...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vja4Him

vja4Him is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8

I need to find a good Router that will allow me to set a time limit for certain MAC Addresses for three teenagers (each with a different MAC Address).

Any suggestions ... ???

- Samsung Galaxy Note 3, 3GB RAM, JellyBean 4.3
- iBook G4, 1GHz, 1.25GB RAM, Tiger 10.4.11
- Archos 80 G9 Turbo 250GB, Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
- Mac Pro, 2.93 GHz, 8GB RAM, Snow Leopard 10.6.8
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Every router I have worked with allows this, but it is a pain in the ****. I have used Linksys and Cisco as well as the Apple AirPort Extreme (this one I would have to verify for sure).

Keep in mind, MAC addys can be spoofed with a reg tweak.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
circa_bc

circa_bc is on a distinguished road

my sister had a similar issue, she created a fairly 'laymans' solution. She ended up running 2 wireless routers, one was hers the other was for the kids. She didnt give the password to the kids for her router, and she set the other on an electronic timer that would just disconnect the router when it was 'bedtime'. Probably horrible for the router, but for a simple approach and her lack of technical skills i was semi-impressed, and it works. Just food for thought.

Macbook Pro (A1278) 2.53 ghz w/ 4gig Ram, 320 gig HD
Mac Mini (A1283) 2.52 ghz / w 4 gig ram, 120 gig SSD, LaCie 2TB D2-Quad (x2)

Mac Pro (A1289) 2x2.26 Quad-Core Xeon w/12gig ram, 1TB (x2)
QUOTE Thanks
vja4Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
Every router I have worked with allows this, but it is a pain in the ****. I have used Linksys and Cisco as well as the Apple AirPort Extreme (this one I would have to verify for sure).

Keep in mind, MAC addys can be spoofed with a reg tweak.
I've been using a D-Links 655, which will not allow me to set time limits, even though the function is there, it doesn't work.

I've contacted D-Links Tech Support, which usually is pretty good, but they were not able to resolve the issue.

They told me that my Router was defective and sent me a new one. That also would not work. They sent me a second new Router and that too did not work.

So, I'm still using my old D-Links 655 Router, which works just fine, except that I cannot use the function to set time limits.

So, I need to get a different Router and soon ... Because for now I will need to delete the MAC addresses of anyone (three teenagers!) who does not cooperate. This will be a major problem, because I might need to delete, then re-enter two or three MAC addresses everyday ... !!!

QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

no offense, but ****. a leash that tight is going to cause more problems than solve. Just take the computers away... micromanagement to the Nth degree.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Hi!

Are you sure you are setting it up correctly? I just made an event here and set it from 1-2PM and blocked this very iMac. All other computers worked on the net but this one was totally blocked till 2PM. Dlink Dir-655.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Any of the Apple routers will do time limits off of Mac address. If your kids are using Macs then there are also parental controls available there as well.
Here are two decent articles
PC
Parental Controls - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows
Mac
Kid Proofing a Mac With Parental Controls — Apple News, Tips and Reviews
QUOTE Thanks
vja4Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
no offense, but ****. a leash that tight is going to cause more problems than solve. Just take the computers away... micromanagement to the Nth degree.
I can't take away my oldest son's computer because he is going to college online, so he needs his computer for school.

I've decided to allow him Internet access from 6:00 a.m. until 9:30 p.m. He needs to readjust his schedule anyway, as he stays up all night, and sleeps all day.

As for my youngest son, I'm concerned that he might become violent if I take his computer away .....

I think the best solution for now is to set the Router to automatically allow Internet access only certain times ...

QUOTE Thanks
vja4Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Hi!

Are you sure you are setting it up correctly? I just made an event here and set it from 1-2PM and blocked this very iMac. All other computers worked on the net but this one was totally blocked till 2PM. Dlink Dir-655.
Yes, I figured out how to set the time limits. I even contacted D-Links Tech Support and they walked me through the procedure several times, but the Internet was still accessible from my kids computers.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vja4Him View Post
Yes, I figured out how to set the time limits. I even contacted D-Links Tech Support and they walked me through the procedure several times, but the Internet was still accessible from my kids computers.
That is crazy!

Maybe I can drop by and visit and check it for you.
QUOTE Thanks
vja4Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
That is crazy!

Maybe I can drop by and visit and check it for you.
That would be great! Please give me a call first ....

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Permissions change going from MAC to Windows | How to automatically mount network drive »