New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

connecting older emac to airport extreme base..hlp!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fabchef

fabchef is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone..fabs here..I recently picked up an older emac, here are it's specs:
emac
OSX 10.3.9
700mhz
384 sdram
bus speed 100mhz
when i open the cd drive here is the info on the inside door:
G4/700/128/40combo/56K/Nvid/FW/110v/osx

the problem i have is trying to connect it to my airport extreme (quite new).
The AE is working well with my imac and friends have successfully connected their devices to my network.
I don't know what my emac can't connect? i recently ordered some (used)airport cards for the emac (yes they are the right ones for it, i checked it out before buying). Once installed, i see the "airport" logo on the upper right side, and it does show my wireless network. When i go to Join the network, i enter the passwork and says it has trouble joining the network...
any ideas? can it be a "security" issue (WEP,WAP???) thanks
fabs

oh ya, i also have a g4 tower in my garage and installed another airport card it it and same thing..shows the network but can't join it..
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Our network gurus will surely correct me if I am wrong but the problem may well be a security setting. If I remember correctly some of the early Airport cards don't always play nice with more modern security schemes such as WPA.

One thing that you could try just to see if things are indeed functioning is to temporarily remove all wireless network security. Then test to se if that machine is able to connect. Once you know that turn security back on. Post the results of your test and we'll go from there.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
fabchef

slydude...i did what you suggested and it worked! so what does this mean? do i have to make one of my wireless connections "open" or is there a common safe -connection that will work for the emac and the AE? i know there is WAP,WEP and some other ones....thanks again
fabs
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Depending upon the age of the cards involved they probably support WEP but that encryption is apparently relatively easy to crack given model tools. Here's what Apple says is required for WPA support
Quote:
AirPort software version 3.3 or later for the AirPort Card (available via Software Update)
AirPort software version 3.2 or later for the AirPort Extreme Card (available via Software Update)

I wouldn't run without encryption. I would run Software Update and make sure that the software is current. I'll keep checking to see what else I can find,

Update: I've seen a few posts suggesting that switching the router so that it is in 802.11 G mode as opposed to mixed B/G/N mode has helped some users.

QUOTE Thanks
fabchef

sly..thanks again...but how do i change my router to be on a "G" network? thanks
fabs
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Launch the Airport Utility and select your AE at the left. Click the Airport symbol at the top of the screen. Click the Wireless Tab.

There is a drop down menu marked something like Radio Mode. Set it from Automatic to B/G and apply the settings. Try the network connection now with it set to WPA. Note that this change slows the wireless network to G speed for all devices.

QUOTE Thanks
fabchef

sly..thanks i will try it...will it really slow down the system? i also have a laptop and apple tv working on the wireless? thanks
fabs
QUOTE Thanks
fabchef

Also, i have a regular network and a "guest" on the AE. ..can i set the regular one to N and the guest to B/G? this way i can keep my current setup on the N and the older emac on the B/G??
thanks
fabs
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

That should work but I have not tried it.

QUOTE Thanks
fabchef

SO i tried putting the guest network to WEP and still doesn't work...it seems like i have to really open up the connection to get it to work.,..maybe dropping the regular network (not guest) to wep or lower and see what gives? very strange...i even tried switching to a b/g network and didn't work..
thanks
fabs
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« building a network with time machines | Time Capsule + Airport Expess »