New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

iMac - Wired Vs wireless (and gigabit switch)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Munkee6002

Munkee6002 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21inch, 3.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, iPhone 4 32GB

Hey guys,

I have a quick question I hope one of you can help with.

My iMac (2010) is currently connected to my router wirelessly. The iMac is upstairs in my bedroom and the router is downstairs, next to the house phone. I would like to change to a wired connection for the following reasons:-

- A faster connection
- The ability to wake the Mac from sleep remotely (using my iPad)
- More security

My question is this...

Would I gain anything from purchasing a gigabit switch and have the iMac connected (via a Cat6 cable), rather than just connecting it directly to one of the ethernet ports on my router?

I have an O2 Wireless box (I think it's a version 2, as it has the 2 aerials and a USB port on the front) and don't think that the router is gigabit enabled. I'm pretty sure that most routers given free by the various providers are not gigabit enabled.

Also, in terms of connecting a gigabit switch (I'm looking at either this one - TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch (TL-SG1005D) Plastic Case: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories - or this one - Netgear GS105 5-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories) is it as easy as plugging a standard cat5 cable from the router to the gigabit switch and then cat6 cables from the switch to each device, in my case an iMac and a Playstation 3? Or will I need a Cat6 cable for the connection between the router and the gigabit switch also?

Thanks and apologies for the rather boring question

Cheers,
Munkee
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Is the iMac the only computer involved? Are you streaming anything to or from the Playstation?

You will not benefit from a gigabit switch as nothing else you connect with will be gigabit unless you can stream content to the playstation.

If your iMac is set for wake on network access in the power preference the iPad should be able to wake it up.
QUOTE Thanks
Munkee6002

Yes, the iMac is the only computer involved.

As for streaming content on the PS3, I am using the video services that are built into it (ie BBC iPlayer, 4OD, Etc), but am experiencing some pauses during playback of high definition content. Hoping a wired connection will sort it, as I have an 8-9Mb broadband connection at home.

In that case, would a gigabit switch not be needed? I thought that it would provide gigabit speeds to devices that supported it? Or is it just assuming I stream from the Mac to the PS3? Would the streaming services on the PS3 and general internet streaming on the iMac not benefit from using a gigabit switch?

Many thanks for your advice,
Munkee
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Even with HD video streaming a 100mb ethernet connection direct to your router will be fine.

In a home environment there's no benefit in switching to gigabit unless you shift lots and lots of large files around and time is an important factor.

The switch to wired from wifi will often give a more reliable and robust connection and that's what will give you result you're after.

Hopefully, once cabled, you'll be trouble free. I can, however, tell you that the O2 boxes are fairly poor at managing traffic particularly a combination of wireless and wired devices.
If you still encounter issues once cabled you may want to consider a better qaulity router rather than an additional switch or hub.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Just to reiterate what has been said above.

The only thing you will gain from being on a Gigabit connection is for transferring files between computers. Your internet will be only as fast as the modem allows (10mb avg, 50mb if lucky). You will have no issue streaming even over a 10mb ethernet connection. 100mb is pretty standard.

A cabled solution will give less worry, but remember to disable/turn off the wireless on your computer or you could end up with 2 connections fighting on the same machine.

The only REAL benefit will be as you said - wake on lan (WOL) from the iPad.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
Munkee6002

Great, thanks guys. That's very helpful.

Munkee
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Booster/Extender?? | iMac loses won't connect to internet after waking up »