Unhappy Internet disconnects while downloading/streaming ONLY on the Mac?
    Hi there!

I've recently purshaced an imac for christmas, coming from a windows background.

I absolutely love my mac, but there is a key problem, i can't do what i'd usually do on my windows computer.

Basically after setting the mac up, browsing the internet was fine, all of a sudden every 20 or so minutes it would disconnect, i messed around and now i can browse unlimited however.. everytime i try to download something / stream off the internet (spotify,youtube etc) the internet cuts out completely, meaning the router flash's orange, in which i then have to restart the router to make the internet come back on.

I've managed to get around the problem with vuze by setting my download speed to 200kbs and so far so good, however anything else will not work (as you can't as far as i can see, set an overall streaming restriction).

My mac is connected via ethernet cable, coming from a netgear powerline, which is plugged in upstairs via the router, i've used the powerline and ethernet combo for years, on all of my windows laptops, the xbox 360 etc, and never had one problem, however as soon as the mac comes along, it disconnects the internet constantly, it seems to be the router/internet overloads with too much going on, however im on 20 mb sky so there is no reason for it too.

I've tried plugging my laptop back in, and i can download/ stream for days with no delays, same with the dell PC upstairs, it just happens when plugged into the mac, i have absolutely no idea what it could be, and would be truely grateful if anyone has a solution, as these problems are completely ruining my mac experience, sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading. I'm also dual booting windows 7 via bootcamp (a small partion for some games) and the problem still happens over on the windows side.

- Ben

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    That's an odd one. Especially with it happening in Windows under bootcamp which suggests it's not an OS issue.

Out of interest does the same happen if you connect to the router over wifi?
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Thanks for the reply, indeed it is odd!

Currently im using the netgear box as my wireless strength (downstairs in the back room) is really poor as the router is all the way upstairs, so wi-fi isn't really an option, ive tried connecting via wi-fi but i get connection timed out. Absolutely no idea what to do!

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    I appreciate it's a pain (I have a 27" iMac and they aren't the most portable devices!)

But can I suggest you take the imac to the room with the router and try a direct cable connection and seperately by wifi.

Is it the older white Netgear Sky router or the newer dark grey one?

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Ahh yes, i shall try this tomorrow when i have more time, thanks for the suggestion!

It's dark grey / black sagem router, it seems to be a problem with that or a setting gone wrong somewhere, i haven't a clue!

Specs:
    The Sky Sagem routers aren't great. The Netgear and D-Link ones they supply tend to be better.

I wonder if the network data rate is 'flooding' the router.

Let me know how the tests go tomorrow and I'll do a bit more research.

Thread Information