New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

limit my bandwidth

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slipmat79

slipmat79 is an unknown at this point

hi, at home theres 3 of us(mac + 2 pc's) and were sharing a 2 mb internet conection through a d-link router, the problem is that when ever anyone downloads anything the internet becomes so increadably slow for the other 2 peaple. i was just curious wether anyone knew of a solution. is there any bandwidth restrictors out there for os x( met a guy in the pub whos gona give us a pc version!) any help much apreichiated
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

i thought that it all had to be done at the router end which means a premium router (ie 500+)

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
lil

It would as a best scenario solution be a router end solution as that's the thing that ultimately decides the destination of the packets coming in over the network. Any software based solution is likely to use a messy 'polled' method of restriction whereby it continually checks the speed and through whichever magic lowers the bandwidth constantly, and as such it will probably be a bit of a hog.

Of course it depends what you are downloading from, some applications have maximum bandwidth limits put in, Safari however and web browsers don't seem to...

Google I guess!

Vicky :flower:
QUOTE Thanks
slipmat79

cheers guys, google wasnt much help. i kind of think that perhaps we need to get into the routers preferences and do it that way
QUOTE Thanks
Kyomii

Kyomii will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4

It shouldn't slow down to that extent really. Are some users uploading at all? (Like sending a file via MSN or whatever) because uploading crucifies the speed, but downloading a file should not effect it so bad.

I have 5 PCs and 3 Macs connected to a 2Mb connection. Out of that, 3 PCs and two Macs are on more or less all the time - I can see a slight difference when one person is downloading, but I can see an incredibe difference when one of them is uploading, so much so, that I notice it immediately - its like being back on narrowband.

Fondest regards, Kyomii

My Snapshots
QUOTE Thanks
slipmat79

yea one of the guys is really in to bit torrents so i guess when hes downloading hes also uploading at the same time, its like a having a dial up back again!can you share the upload bandwidth evenly then?
QUOTE Thanks
lil

Yeah, ask the guy who's hogging all the bandwidth to knock it off

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
Kyomii

Kyomii will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4

If he uses bittorrent, you should be able to limit the bandwidth in the bittorrent software settings, for example:

http://www.bittorrent.com/FAQ.html#uploadlimit

You can do this with any P2P application Go through the settings and knock the upload limit right down - this then ensures that those who upload programs via his computer can only upload them at a certain bandwidth limit (like 25kbps for example)

Fondest regards, Kyomii

My Snapshots
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport and iBook | ibooks and imac »