New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

A question about $$ (Cache)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

esoterica

esoterica is on a distinguished road

Okay, I feel like a complete idiot asking this, but it's driving me nuts...

I am temporarily in the US and have brought my Macbook Air with me. Here's the problem: even though I clear my cache/history each time I close Firefox, the search results upon re-opening my browser are all Canadian, which is really annoying when I'm trying to find a location of a US restaurant, or store hours, etc.. (it keeps bringing up the Canadian websites in the search results if the business is also located in Canada).

I'm using Google, but like I said, my browser is set to clear cache/history each time I close Firefox, and when I reopen and start a new search, Google still "thinks" I'm in Canada.

Where else could this "location" information be stored? Is it stored somewhere on my mac, or in Google? I am not logged into Gmail or any other account that would store the info.

Thanks in advance for your help...
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

It's stored in browser cookies. So, you just need to clear your cookies to reset Google's location info.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
esoterica

My browser is set to clear cache/history each time I close Firefox, and when I reopen and start a new search, Google still "thinks" I'm in Canada.

Even if I manually clear the cookies/cache, it still does it... confused...
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoterica View Post
My browser is set to clear cache/history each time I close Firefox, and when I reopen and start a new search, Google still "thinks" I'm in Canada.

Even if I manually clear the cookies/cache, it still does it... confused...
Are you sure you're clearing the cookies? They are different from the cache. Cache is files stored locally to avoid reloading all elements of a given webpage. Cookies are little files that track parts of your identity. Just because you cleared one, doesn't mean you've cleared the other.

The only other thought I have on this is that if you're tethering to a cell phone registered through a Canadian provider (i.e. using it as your Internet connection), it may be pulling your location by means of your carrier's IP that is localized to Canada.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
esoterica

My connection is through a local provider, but now I know why it's happening... it's because my search engine is set to 'google.ca' instead of 'google.com.'

I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Thanks so much for chiming in so quickly - I appreciate it!
QUOTE Thanks
esoterica

Good tip on cookies/cache too - I did not know they were different...
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro can't find my Router | New and internet problems »