New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Map Network Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WallaceTech

WallaceTech is on a distinguished road

Guys.

I have just got my macbook and while i am loving it, i am finding something hard coming from the windows word for the last 20 years.

I have a NAS that i would like to map or mount when i reboot the laptop. Now i have gone to GO / Connect to server and i have connected no problems.

Now does mac not use drive letters for its drive mappings?

anyway i have also gone in to settings / accounts / login items and added the folder from server i connected to in GO

I have also ticked the box hide but when i reboot and login the folder opens and i dont want that. I just want to know its there when i need it.

i am really sorry if this is such a noob question but i am trying to get to grips with this amazing OS

===================
www.wallacetech.co.uk
===================
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Correct, there are no drive letters in OS X. Just mount points.
If you use the Go To Folders option after you've connected to a network server type in /Volumes, you'll see the mount points here.

You don't really need to put in your startup items as long as you create an alias of the network mount from your desktop or as I prefer an alias from the /Volumes folder.

Personally I use Automator to create an application to run on login. I use the get specified servers and connect to servers from the files and folders library.

Kind of like a batch file in Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
WallaceTech

Thanks mate.

Do you have an example of your script? if using a script is the way to do it then thats fine. I really just want to set it and forget it.

===================
www.wallacetech.co.uk
===================
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Screen Shot 2011-12-20 at 8.20.16 PM.png
QUOTE Thanks
WallaceTech

Thanks mate for that. will give that a go. Have to say i am loving my mac now i am getting over some of the windows to mac tasks.

===================
www.wallacetech.co.uk
===================
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unstable Internet Connection | changing LAN from 10.4 to 10.6 »