New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Snow Leopard Server and Windows XP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rustyk123

rustyk123 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion

I have a Windows XP machine that was connected to the Snow Leopard Server then there was a motherboard failure combined with Hard drive failure. After that, the OS had to be reinstalled, was able to bind to server. Then there was os issues cause no internet access, but was allowing network access to everything. This time I had a backup from the last install. Restored could not login, decide to change the name so I disconnected from the domain to change the name then went to bind to the server again. I type in the domain, click ok, asks for diradmin username and password, type that in then after a minute it says

Quote:
'The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "xxxxxxx":

The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.'
What does this mean? I know it is working on other computers, also it gets to the point where it needs a username and password. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
rustyk123

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion

I have now setup a new install of XP Pro in Parallels on my Macbook Pro, Bridged the network to ethernet and still getting the same results. This is making me think that it is something on the server. What should I check?

I have also confirmed that the PDC is functioning to allow logging in by using another computer that is currently connected to the server by domain.

Any guesses at what to look at or what is error and process is say would help.
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

What is the DNS settings on the XP client?

You have a Windows Active Directory Domain and an OS X Open Directory and are trying to do dual directory logins?

Is that correct?
QUOTE Thanks
rustyk123

the DNS settings are the mac server as primary, then the two provided by the ISP are setup as secondaries.

No, The network setup is one Mac Pro Server server set up with Snow Leopard server. The windows machines are setup on domain by enabling the Primary Domain Controller function in the SMB features on the mac server. It seams to me that is probably where the problem is, I just am not sure where to start or what to check. I am not the one who set this up, I really don't want to mess with it unless I know what I am doing since this is actively used during the day.
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice

Just spent some time looking at this,...

Guide: Using Mac OS X Server as a PDC | MikeBoylan.com

Take a look and confirm you config and steps.
QUOTE Thanks
rustyk123

Ok looked over the steps on the webpage you provided, and found a few things that were different then what I was doing. First off, the setup I have is one mac server the steps talked about a second mac server being on the network. The other thing that I was not doing was enabling the Do not check for user ownership of Roaming Profile Folders. I went and enabled this then restarted like the steps said to do and tried to join the domain again and I am still getting the same problem.

Do you have any other ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
rustyk123

I fix it. Today our server was responding very slow network connections were being dropped, services shut down. and for some reason there was a lot of network activity from the server. We restarted the server as well as restarted all 6 wireless access Points and 3 managed switches. Once it rebooted that is when i noticed some services were on that were off before shutting down. When I tried to join the domain everything we red great.
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

When in doubt,...REBOOT!

Glad you got it going.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wifi signal deteriorated | Controlling receiver with iMac (and other iOS devices) »