New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Print to home printer while away. Possible?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jrsower

jrsower is on a distinguished road

Guys, I'm wondering if it's possible to print to my home printer while I'm away from the house using my current setup.

Macbook Pro running Lion
HP K5400 printer connected to Airport Extreme

Wireless printing in the house is no problem obviously on the network, but it would be great to send a doc to my home printer while I'm out or in the office.

Third party software or new printer needed? I've read about some printers having their own email address that you send a email to and it prints out. But trying to avoid buying a new printer just for this convenience. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

HP e-print printers can do this, each has a unique email adress you can send prints to.

Though i've always thought it was an odd thing to do in that you're not there to collect the print, check the ink, clear the paper jam, put new paper in etc etc.

I'd favour printing to PDF and copying to Dropbox etc to keep them safe until a return home to print them. But, of course, everyone's needs are different!

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

As mrplow mentioned, if your printer has e-print, then yes you can print while away. You have to leave your printer on (obviously) and register it online. The registration/sign-up process gives you a unique "e-mail" address for your printer that allows you to send the print job from your phone, computer or iPad. I have set mine up but not tested it yet. Let us know how it goes.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Extreme Acting Up | Cant access USB HDD connected to the router from mac »