New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Wifi Stuck in 'off' :(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cmdude21

cmdude21 is on a distinguished road

I was using my mac (10.7.2) and all of a sudden my computer just shut off. Weird.

When I boot back up I not longer have wifi turned on, and there's no way to turn it on. When you click 'turn on wifi' nothing happens.

Help?
QUOTE Thanks
cmdude21

I was using my mac (10.7.2) and all of a sudden my computer just shut off. Weird.

When I boot back up I not longer have wifi turned on, and there's no way to turn it on. When you click 'turn on wifi' nothing happens.

Help?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You didn't mention which Mac you have but did you try turning it off completely and also reset your router? If that doesn't work, try resetting the PRAM. Let us know if that fixes it.
QUOTE Thanks
cmdude21

I'm using an early 2011 15" MBP 2.4 i5 running 10.7.2.

I've tried resetting the PRAM with no luck. Didn't bother with the router. The wifi card isn't even on, let alone scanning networks.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Have you rebooted and still can't turn it on in Network Preferences?

Try entering this in a Terminal session

Code:
networksetup -setairportpower airport off
and then turning it back on

Code:
networksetup -setairportpower airport on
If it won't turn on after a reboot or from Terminal - may be time to give Apple a call.
QUOTE Thanks
cmdude21

Hi brian - I get this

"airport is not a Wi-Fi interface.
** Error: Error obtaining wireless information."
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Sorry - I guess in Lion you have to specify the network interface now. Try this

Code:
networksetup -setairportpower en1 off
Code:
networksetup -setairportpower en1 on
QUOTE Thanks
cmdude21

Thanks - no dice though. When it switched to 'off' I was prompted for my password. Nothing happened when I switched it 'on'. I even tried closing terminal and trying again and still nothing.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

And I'm assuming you've rebooted? Time to give Apple a call - smells like a chipset failure to me.

Yes - you should be prompted for your password - and no you won't see anything echoed in the command line - but the airport should toggle off and then on. If you've also rebooted and no joy - time to make that appointment with an Apple genie I guess.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

I just read the first part of your post - very odd that your computer just turned off. Make sure you mention that in your call.
QUOTE Thanks
cmdude21

Yeah I've rebooted a couple times and tried a PRAM reset. This is beyond frustrating. In September I had the same problem except it said "no airport card installed". The Apple store replaced my wifi card - no luck. Then they replaced my logic board and it worked. Then I started crashing all the time and when I went back they said the logic board was faulty...new logic board. Now here we go AGAIN with wifi airport card problems .
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

Yeah - definitely would be frustrated myself. I'd mention all of that to whoever you get either on the phone or in the store. I'd be a little skeptical if I was carting around an MBP that had the innards replaced a couple of times and still wasn't working correctly. You're not working next to a giant transformer or EMP device are you?
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

I just realized you had posted duplicate threads. Please just post a single thread per topic - I've merged your two threads. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« FIOS Router Connectivity - Help Please | How to print from iPad to Canon Pixma MP497 »