New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Slow connection since upgrading router

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

soleglo

soleglo is on a distinguished road

Ever since I upgraded my router to the NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (WNDR3700) my MacBook has been very slow to open pages when it does open them when I use Firefox or Google Chrome. I can't even get into Safari because it only opens halfway. (The search box only opens halfway) My MacBook is operating on 10.5.8, and I am beginning to wonder if this is the problem however due to lack of funds I want to try everything I can before I spend any money upgrading. I don't have any connection problems with my IPAD2, PC, or Netbook. A friend brought over their MacBook Air which is running on Lion and he did not have the issues I am having. I even called Netgear support and they basically tried to sell me premium support which I refused because if I need to update my OS, purchasing premium support would not have solved my problem. I have also installed and run Clean My Mac, but it didn't help. Any assistance will be appreciated and I am a novice and therefore if you provide suggestions can you put it in laymans terms? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
rainbowcat

rainbowcat is on a distinguished road

i don't think your problem is your router, but your macbook. i have a netgear router and my macbook runs just fine. do you usually put the macbook to sleep, or shut it down? i learned here that you need to shut it down periodically, or it starts throwing beach balls like crazy and running more slowly. also clear the cache, history and cookies - all in firefox preferences. i know these are very simple suggestions, but starting with the easy stuff is usually the best thing. good luck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help please: A Time Capsule question. | Ethernet not working please help »