New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Do these internet settings look right to you?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

Hi, I'm just feeling frazzled with constant dropouts.

The reason why I ask is that I'm supposed to have a static IP and during a previous discussion with my ISP's technical support 12 months ago they helped reset some router settings and advised me to check the PPPoA setting.

The Wan IP always stays the same and a Speedcheck test gives me the same IP.

Have I got the wrong setting here which is causing my interminable headache?

Screen Shot 2011-11-30 at 17.06.03.png

Screen Shot 2011-11-30 at 17.04.16.png

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I enlarged the pictures in your post.

On a cursory glance, nothing looks out of the ordinary from where I sit. Who's your provider? It might help if we could compare settings.

When you say dropouts, is this application specific or "global" (network connection drops)?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I enlarged the pictures in your post.

On a cursory glance, nothing looks out of the ordinary from where I sit. Who's your provider? It might help if we could compare settings.

When you say dropouts, is this application specific or "global" (network connection drops)?
Hi Vansmith,

Thank you for replying with enlargements!

I just received your mail notification, clicked on the link and no connection via Safari. The ISP is Talk Talk, formerly Tiscali, formerly Pipex and the dropouts tend to be global on this machine, a Mac mini and an iPad.

Symptoms are hanging Safari, Mail locking out and sometimes a dropped connection with random re-connects.

I've re-sited the router/modem, moved the cordless phones, put an ethernet connection in and still these problems..sometimes the connection is flying and then zilch.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Welcome again to my hum-drum world of poor connectivity.

I thought I'd give deleting the Safari plist and I don't appear to have one in /Library/Preferences/

The shot below is all that appears to be in there for Safari...I'm stumped..where could it have gone and why?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2011-12-11 at 08.26.14.png (14.3 KB, 22 views)

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Real quick, is this under Lion? If so it's the User library which you get to by clicking Go up in Finder and holding down Option. Library will appear. Then in Preferences in that Library should be the Com.Apple.Safari.plist
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Hi dtravis7,

Yes it is Lion and I've been doing exactly that and this is all that shows in the Preferences folder. There is a separate folder..'Safari' in the library and this has individual plists listed as
Bookmarks.plist, Configurations..History..Downloads etc.

I can't figure it.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Just a helpful tip - /Library/Preferences is a different folder than your home one which is ~/Library/Preferences. Welcome to the wonderful world of Unix filesystems, haha.

Deleting the plist won't help if the problem exists beyond Safari (you mentioned issues with Mail above). The problem could be hardware - either router or modem. I suggest this since the problem isn't limited to one device. Is there any way you can swap either of those devices out for another to test this theory?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Just a helpful tip - /Library/Preferences is a different folder than your home one which is ~/Library/Preferences. Welcome to the wonderful world of Unix filesystems, haha.

Deleting the plist won't help if the problem exists beyond Safari (you mentioned issues with Mail above). The problem could be hardware - either router or modem. I suggest this since the problem isn't limited to one device. Is there any way you can swap either of those devices out for another to test this theory?
Ah I see.

I can't swap out unfortunately but in the scheme of things a new modem/router might not go amiss.

I'll do this as soon as I can within the next couple of days.

Thank you both. I'll keep you posted.

QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Hello guys,

So I got the new w/less router modem ( Belkin Play N600DB) and after a tussle with my ISP for my correct username and password I am now re-connected.

Things were going swimmingly until the connection with my iMac dropped out as per usual.

I swapped the band from 2.4 to 5Ghz and everything is good (fingers crossed) so the issue must have been my cordless phone base station I guess? I had moved it,but I think it needs to be moved into the trash

One thing is puzzling me though,

iStumbler reports signal strength as 33% (15 points lower than my last router) with signal noise of 9%.

Wi-Fi Analyzer reports -71dB (way off reference ) and a signal to noise ratio of 25dB.

Mac's WiFi icon shows all 4 bars at full.

Does anyone know why what I should be looking at in strength and SNR for a reasonable connection? Are any of these apps reliable?

Thanks for your support.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Firefox private browsing | Accessing external Drive on Windows computer »