New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

iMac (airport) has hard time connecting to wireless

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iMacSnow

iMacSnow is on a distinguished road

I'm new to the Mac world and so far so good EXCEPT for the wireless connection issue. These are the messages I get when I try to connect to a wireless signal using airport:

"AirPort does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the Internet."

"AirPort has the self-assigned IP address xxxxxxxxxxxxx and will not be able to connect to the Internet."

It usually connects after a 15-20 minute wait or sometimes I can click on "Renew DHCP Lease" and that will work but not always.

Notes:
- I'm running Snow Leopard v10.6.8.
- I have no problem connecting w/ my ipad or pc

Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

Hi,
Have you used the diagnostics in Network Preferences at all ?

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
iMacSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
Hi,
Have you used the diagnostics in Network Preferences at all ?
I ran diagnostics once after it failed to connect but didn't help much.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

The message seems very specific. When you booted up your iMac for the first time it should have asked you if you wanted to connect to the wireless connection it found. Unless you configured it later manually?

In System Preferences/Network/Wireless do you have Location 'Automatic checked and Wi-Fi turned on ?

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
iMacSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
In System Preferences/Network/Wireless do you have Location 'Automatic checked and Wi-Fi turned on ?
In System Preferences/Network, I do not see "Wireless" and only see "Airport", "Ethernet", and "Firewire".

This morning the airport had no issues connecting to the wireless. I'm wondering if it had anything to do w/ clicking "Turn AirPort Off" last night.

Also, I noticed when I restart the computer, it would connect with no issues. It's only when I put the imac to sleep w/o turning airport off that this issue seems to be happening.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

System Preferences > Network >Left Column at the top should be Wi-Fi with a green dot
showing connected and on the left column status connected should show your network if not click on advanced Wi-Fi > Preferred network drag yours to the top and edit the rest if any others are listed.
QUOTE Thanks
iMacSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
System Preferences > Network >Left Column at the top should be Wi-Fi with a green dot
showing connected and on the left column status connected should show your network if not click on advanced Wi-Fi > Preferred network drag yours to the top and edit the rest if any others are listed.
hmm I don't see Wi-Fi anywhere, even when I click Advanced. I only see:
AirPort | TCP/IP | DNS | WINS | 802.1X | Proxies | Ethernet
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacSnow View Post
hmm I don't see Wi-Fi anywhere, even when I click Advanced. I only see:
AirPort | TCP/IP | DNS | WINS | 802.1X | Proxies | Ethernet
Are you actually connected to WiFi when opening System Preferences, Network? If not, WiFi will not show up on the list. Make sure you're connected and locked on to the signal, then open System Preferences, Network, and do what member osxx said.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Did wifi only appear with Lion? From memory when running Snow Leopard did state Airport. Seeing Airport under Advanced confirms this. Location is Automatic and the network name appears in the window pane?

Have you tried re-setting the modem/router and if no joy follow the manual to go into the browser address and set up a new network. And when you go into Advanced > DNS do two sets of IP addresses appear there? If not ask your ISP for the addresses. One is primary and the second one, secondary of course.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Are you actually connected to WiFi when opening System Preferences, Network? If not, WiFi will not show up on the list. Make sure you're connected and locked on to the signal, then open System Preferences, Network, and do what member osxx said.
Mine looks like this, and yes I recall it used to be called 'Airport'.

The router address is what you should paste into your Safari address bar to access the router's utility as harryb2448 was explaining.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2011-11-24 at 21.01.45.png (201.7 KB, 18 views)

QUOTE Thanks
iMacSnow

Thanks for all the help guys.

looks like clicking "Turn Airport Off" whenever I'm done using the computer, then turning it on again does the trick.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Well always personally turn it on in System preferences and turn off in Menu Bar, if you have show status in menu Bar selected.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
iMacSnow

So after a week of successfully connecting to the airport using the "turn airport on/off" method, I'm having the same issues again!!

Seems like when the airport self assigns an IP address, it starts w/ 169 and doesn't connect. When it finally chooses to connect, the IP address starts w/ a 192.

I just don't get it. Do you guys think it's a faulty airport card?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Saving Streamed TV data | Printer sharing/really confused »