New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

emac not reading airport card

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dolphin01

dolphin01 is on a distinguished road

I have verizon mifi now and it works on my ibook but my old emac doesn't. I got a airport card for it and it fit nicely, followed instructions on installation but nothing. Is there a trick??
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

What encryption did you set up with? Some older models are incompatible with all forms of WPA.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
dolphin01

That's what I'm trying to figure out - I have no idea what I'm doing. The emac will take an airport card but how do you set it up?? there is no airport on system pref. Keeps asking for PPP.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

What does Apple System profiler (About this Mac > More Info > Networking > Airport) have to say about the card? Is it being recognized?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
dolphin01

in the network part it does say Airport Card and when I click on that it just says, "no information found."
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Cannot help with Verizon, but is it possible the Airport card of the eMac is not compatible as it may be 802.11G or even B?

QUOTE Thanks
dolphin01

Well, I did my homework on what card to get and "supposedly" the compatibility for this emac is the 802.11g card and that's what I got....
I looked up on the apple site and it says an emac running on at least 10.2 should take an airport card. I'm running it on 10.4 but still nothing..
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin01 View Post
Well, I did my homework on what card to get and "supposedly" the compatibility for this emac is the 802.11g card and that's what I got....
Just so we know exactly what eMac we're talking about...what model eMac is it (cpu speed)?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dolphin01

It's a powerPC G4 (2.1), CPU Speed: 800 MHz
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's a powerPC G4 (2.1), CPU Speed: 800 MHz
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately...there were two different eMac models with the 800mhz cpu. One had "GeForce2 MX" video hardware...and the other model had "ATI Radeon 7500" video hardware.

Which does your eMac have? If you don't know...look under:

- Apple Menu
- About This Mac
- More Info

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
dolphin01

ok..... Model: Maxtor 2F040L0 That is under ATA Bus. Under Hardware overview is just says machine model: PoweMac 4,4
Does that help?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
ok..... Model: Maxtor 2F040L0 That is under ATA Bus. Under Hardware overview is just says machine model: PoweMac 4,4
Does that help?
Sorry...that doesn't help!

It's very simple. Go to the "About this Mac" then the "More Info" page. All of those items listed on the left side of the window are "clickable/selectable"...and then the appropriate info is displayed.

Click on "Graphics/Displays" in the column on the left side of the window...this will tell you what graphics hardware this eMac has.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dolphin01

ah, ok..... I wasn't sure which hardware to be clicking on. Ok.... It's an ATI Radeon 7500
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
ah, ok..... I wasn't sure which hardware to be clicking on. Ok.... It's an ATI Radeon 7500
Ok...now that's the info I was looking for...so thanks.

The reason why this was so important to verify is (since there were 2 different eMac models with the 800mhz cpu)...one of them used the older wireless "b" only Airport card...and the other one (the one you have)...used the newer Airport Extreme wireless "b/g".

So to be 100% sure...does the Airport card you have installed in your 800mhz eMac look like this:

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dolphin01

yes, it does. So it should work right??
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Extreme very hot. Normal ? | Airport Extreme Can't find router address »