New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

airport connected but internet doesnt work

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kilcillian

kilcillian is on a distinguished road

Our internet works fine with wireless pc's and with the mac connected via ethernet cable. but when we try to connect with the airport, it says its connected and has full strength but when a browser is opened, we aren't connected.

I've tried: resetting the modem/router (provided by our ISP) and turning airport on and off. I've checked to make sure its using DHCP.

When I originally tried "join other network" and manually entered our network and password i used WPA. Nothing happened. When I switched it to WPA2 it suddenly worked. But after testing putting the mac to sleep for a few hours and coming back to it, it no longer works with WPA or WPA2.

It works fine on other networks, but we just got internet installed so all the computers in the apartment can connect (i'm on a wireless-incapable pc so I needed a modem) while the mac has been using a local pay for service wifi connection.

losing my patience with troubleshooting and really dont want to run a long ethernet cable across the apartment to the modem because we can't figure out why airport doesn't work.
QUOTE Thanks
bworthey

bworthey is on a distinguished road

I'm having a similar issue on my Macbook, iPhone 4, and iPad-2. Have done a search on the internet and it appears to be a common problem and does have something to do with the router settings apparently. However I can't find exactly what my set up should be.

If anyone out there can help - would be greatly appreciated.
I have a Netgear Wireless-N Router, set to WPa2 - have read something about setting to 802.11g only but can not find this setting at all in my set-up! Is WEP the answer?

Thanks!

B-Worthey

MacBook 13" 2.0 Ghz, 4 gb RAM, 250 gb HD; 30 gb iPod
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Do you both have problems with Mail at the same time ?

Does a warning triangle show up next to the Inbox in the sidebar in Mail just before it happens?

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless Security Modes...and the lack thereof | mac pro in need of airport solution »