New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Sharing window's internet with mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

leifanator

leifanator is on a distinguished road

So recently I acquired an old iMac G3, and I installed 10.4 on it. Right now, I have an ethernet cable connecting it to the PC with XP, and I enabled sharing on both machines. Neither machine is detecting the other. I successfully did this before with a Power Mac with 10.4 and the same PC but with Windows 7. I do not have an airport card available for the iMac. I'm wondering if the iMac's ethernet port is dead, or more likely that I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
leifanator

leifanator is on a distinguished road

Does anyone really not know?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

What encryption are you using? An older model iMac will not be able to access WPA networks, only the much more insecure WEP.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy

wheelguy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

For computer to computer direct connection you will probably need a crossover network cable.

If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm. -Vince Lombardi
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Edimax and Humax with iMac | wireless keyboard without numeric keypad »