New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

How to configure airport extreme

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SeanL

SeanL is on a distinguished road

I am trying to help my parents improve their home network. They have an LG tv with the Netcast feature allowing them to watch Netflix etc and the signal doesn't seem to be very strong in the room. They have dsl and have a combination modem/router which is a Westell 327W. I had them buy an airport extreme since I have one and am very impressed with it. We did try just buying a standalone modem but it wouldn't work for some reason so I want to try and just use the Westell set up.
What is the best way to setup the AE? It sounds like people may be putting the AE in Bridge mode but what exactly does that mean? Does this turn off the Westell router function and allow me to use the superior AE router abilities getting the improved range and speed and I am after?
Any help is appreciated, thx!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

That is correct use bridge mode and let the Westell continue to be the router and select extend a wireless network and configure IPv4 using DHCP and keep encryption all the same preferable WPA2.
QUOTE Thanks
SeanL

So if the Westell is the router am I still getting the signal from the Westell or is the AE providing that?
I am not a networking guru. What does configure ipv4 using dhcp mean?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

The Westell handles addresses when the AEBS is in bridge mode and its just an over glorified wireless access point with a few more bells and whistles. If you turn off the wireless which I would in the Westell then the AEBS controls all wireless functions without conflict. When you set IPv4 using DHCP the Westell will dole out an IP to each device while not giving the same one to another something that happens from time to time when using static. Also change from extend to create a wireless if you turn the wireless off in the Westell .
QUOTE Thanks
SeanL

Thanks so much for the quick response. Very helpful!
QUOTE Thanks
SeanL

With the AEBS in bridge mode can I still hide the home network from being visible? If so will the guest network still work and also be visible? Thx!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

Create a closed network in wireless options then you must know the name and password. Not sure never played with guest network.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2 emacs networking with printer | Extending a network wirelessly and with ethernet »