New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dziner

I'm in the process of buying a house and strongly considering a wireless network because there is no cable connection in the room that will be the home office. And because I can't run ethernet through the plaster walls.

I can't decide if I could simply use the AirPort Express or if I will need to purchase the AirPort Extreme. If I can simply buy the AirPort Express and have it connected to the cable modem which can be located in the living room, and connect my home theater system to it, then I think the Express will work great. The office will be located on the second floor, maybe 60 feet from the living room.

So I guess I'm confused what the point of the Extreme Base Station is besides having a built-in dial-up modem. Can anyone tell me why I may want to get the Extreme over the Express?

I will be connecting to the network with a 1.6Ghz G5 which I will need to get a wireless card for. I may want to put a beige G3 on the network too but haven't really thought about how I woud do that yet.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Airport Extreme is much more robust and has a larger range. I would highly recommend using the Extreme if it's going to be the hub of your entire home network. The Express is good for either an extension for your network or as a portable base but it's not as versatile and the range is not as good.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
DuGong

.. i use a belkin Pre-N router. its the best. i have previously owned the Base station extreme.. i was dissapointed with its performance and range.

pre-n is a better buy. setting it up is the only drawback with the modem.

ive got the airport express. i use it too boost the frequency and also to use its as a hifi system...
QUOTE Thanks
blueturtles

how do you use the aiprt express to boost a connection from a belkin router?
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

I have one of these:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...%2Etworking%2F

Works fextremely well with all my MAcs and PCs.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Networking between iBook and AOL | Netgear DG834G and Powerbook G4 »