New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Networking with PCs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

argusp

argusp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Xenon, 7 GB RAM, 250 GB HD, 10.6.8

This seems to come up a lot, but have not come across the answer to my problem.

The Mac can see and access all of the PCs. None of the PCs can access the Mac

All computers can ping all other computers, including the Mac. PCs, Mac, Printers - if it is on the LAN, it can be pinged from anywhere.
All computers can get to the internet.
All PCs can access each other.
Mac can access all PCs.
No PC can access Mac.

File sharing is On.

Network name is set the same on all units.

Specifications:

Ethernet LAN - Computers and printers > Switch > Router > Internet

Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Dual-Core Intel Xenon, 7 GB RAM, Snow Leopard 10.6.8

PCs = 3 x Windows 7 Home Premium SP1; 1 XP SP3, 1 Vista SP2

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Bill
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

How is SL sharing folders? If you go to System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing > Options..., is it set to share files over SMB? If not, change it to SMB.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
argusp

argusp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Xenon, 7 GB RAM, 250 GB HD, 10.6.8

Thank you, that worked. Had not actually clicked on the File Sharing to see the Options button before. Now the Mac shows in the Network tab on all of the PCs and access is as planned.

This leads to another problem, however. Before enabling SMB, the Mac automatically listed all of the PCs in the network under the Sharing tab in Finder. Now, I have to manually mount the drives. I there any way to have the best of both worlds - to have both the Mac and PCs automatically show shared network systems?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Extreme Set Up using Apt Network Help!!! | problem with airpor extreme »