Unhappy Migration assistant troubles!
    Hi guys!

I've just replaced my old windows XP PC with a mac mini and i love it.

However, I'm having a problem with the migration assistant, the mac see's the PC and attempts to connect to it, saying i need to put in a pass code on the PC. The PC continually says "waiting for connection from a mac"

I don't know if the problem is the mac or the PC!

Both have the fire walls off and file sharing ON. The Mac is on a wireless connection but the PC is on a wired connection. does this make a difference?

Someone please help me!!!

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Dre View Post
    Hi guys!

I've just replaced my old windows XP PC with a mac mini and i love it.

However, I'm having a problem with the migration assistant, the mac see's the PC and attempts to connect to it, saying i need to put in a pass code on the PC. The PC continually says "waiting for connection from a mac"

I don't know if the problem is the mac or the PC!

Both have the fire walls off and file sharing ON. The Mac is on a wireless connection but the PC is on a wired connection. does this make a difference?

Someone please help me!!!
    Are you following these steps?
    OS X Lion: About Windows Migration Assistant
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

I followed it perfectly. It just stops at a certain part.

resolved the PC side of the problem
    I had the Macbook finding the PC, but the PC never 'seeing' the Mac; no confirmation number would appear.

I disabled firewalls within my PC (control panel -> Windows Firewall -> Turn Firewall on or off), and restarted. It worked!

Migration and bookmarks
    Quote Originally Posted by grantgw View Post
    I had the Macbook finding the PC, but the PC never 'seeing' the Mac; no confirmation number would appear.

I disabled firewalls within my PC (control panel -> Windows Firewall -> Turn Firewall on or off), and restarted. It worked!
    I've just tried to migrate the files on my iMac to my MacBook. Everything worked perfectly, the migration started and ran for nearly six hours before suddenly locking up - with 3 minutes left to go. The result? No files transferred, but the existing files on the MacBook deleted, and one very unhappy Mac user.

One thing I did want to achieve was copying the hundreds of bookmarks on my iMac, but that didn't happen either. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    I'd try the migration again if possible. Haven't used the Mac - PC migration but the Mac - Mac version does that from time to time and succeeds the second time around.

As far as the bookmarks are concerned which browser are you using. It should have a method for exporting the bookmarks. Safari and most other Mac browsers can read the commonly exported formats. The import command is typically found under the File menu.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Thanks for the response. I have followed your advice over the bookmarks and transferred them successfully. Quite simple, once you're pointed in the right direction!

I should say that I wanted to migrate the contents of my iMac to the MacBook because, after three faultless years, the iMac has started playing up over the past week. It keeps locking up for no obvious reason, and I am often having to force a switch-off manually. So I thought I'd better save everything to the MacBook in case the iMac dies. However, since the failed migration the MacBook has also started playing up....

Is there some kind of diagnostic/repair utility I could try, or might installing El Capitan help? (so far avoided due to reported problems).

I should add that my IT skills are limited to only the routine uses I make of it.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro OS 10.11.1, iPhone 5s iOS 9.2, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2, iPod Classic 80Gb
    Download and run OnyX for your Operating System (they are different for rack one) but first try running First Aid on the Macintosh HD from Disk Utility in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums
    If you were helped by this forum please add reputation points to that member by clicking on the "Thumbs Up" icon, bottom left corner of each thread. (Yes I know it's small)

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro OS 10.11.1, iPhone 5s iOS 9.2, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2, iPod Classic 80Gb
    It is not a good idea to migrate data from an ailing computer unless you are sure your problem is hardware.
    The best method is to repair the source first otherwise you are in danger of migrating your problem as well as everything else.
    I suggest you try to repair your iMac first. If that can be done you can delete the files you migrated to your MacBook and if necessary migrate them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums
    If you were helped by this forum please add reputation points to that member by clicking on the "Thumbs Up" icon, bottom left corner of each thread. (Yes I know it's small)

Wow - a very large batch of "Permissions repaired" on both the iMac and the MacBook. Let's hope all is now OK!

Many thanks,

Tony

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Make sure your files are backed up from your iMac. The problems you noted often indicate a failing hard drive.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Thread Information