New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Power mac G5 wireless

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iaindixon

iaindixon is on a distinguished road

please help.. im at my wits end with this..

right....

i have a powermac G5 which i love but when i bought it off a friend it had no wireless capability.. after far too much time looking around and being sent all over the place by apple and threads on forums i finally find out i have to buy an airport extreme card.. which i have done.. now the mac starts up fine no problems at all.. but when ive installed the card and plugged in the antenna that was hanging next to the card slot (i presume thats what its for) i press the power button and the power comes on but no picture on my monitor.. almost like its creating a circuit or something and knocking out the monitor.. then after a while the fan starts going quicker then i get worried and switch it off... take the card out and it works perfectly once again..

please please please can someone shed some light on this problem..

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Did you accidentally bump anything while you were inside installing the Airport card? Maybe something got dislodged.

Also...did you reinstall everything properly that you needed to remove to get access to do this install? Think carefully...I know I've forgotten things sometimes.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
iaindixon

ive just removed the card and started the machine again.. i got the normal apple *bong* sound then the apple logo on screen etc.. powered down then installed the card again and powered up.. with no *bong* or apple logo.. head stratcher indeed.. i was very carefull when installing and removing ...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindixon View Post
ive just removed the card and started the machine again.. i got the normal apple *bong* sound then the apple logo on screen etc.. powered down then installed the card again and powered up.. with no *bong* or apple logo.. head stratcher indeed.. i was very carefull when installing and removing ...
Ok...great troubleshooting.

So I'm thinking two possibilities:

- Do you have the correct Airport Card?
- Or maybe this Airport card is "dead"!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
iaindixon

i purchased the card from macupgrades.co.uk it was classed as 'refurbished' but said tested as working.. speaking to apple and reading up on all sorts of sites even wikipedia it gave options for whatever g5 i had dual core or not.. mine being the 'not' variety.. but it also listed the same aiport extreme card for both.. so presumed i was on to a winner..

i just dont know what else to do.. its taken me months to get this far.. do u think its worth making an appointment with a geek instore and lugging this lump of metal in there? i dont think i could handle the disappointment of them tellin me there's nothing that can be done... haha
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
i purchased the card from macupgrades.co.uk it was classed as 'refurbished' but said tested as working.. speaking to apple and reading up on all sorts of sites even wikipedia it gave options for whatever g5 i had dual core or not.. mine being the 'not' variety.. but it also listed the same aiport extreme card for both.. so presumed i was on to a winner..
Need to know the exact model Powermac G5 you have. The Airport cards on these things can be confusing. Can you post a picture of the card...or provide a link to the place you bought it from (with a photo)?

But if the card is no good...we would just be wasting our time trying to troubleshoot the problem. But first we should be sure you have the correct card.

Quote:
i just dont know what else to do.. its taken me months to get this far.. do u think its worth making an appointment with a geek instore and lugging this lump of metal in there?
My personal opinion is this would be a waste of time. Whenever I go to my local Apple Store...if you walk in with anything older than a couple years old...they just look at you funny and say..." What the heck is that??"

But maybe you have better folks at your Apple Store! Of course if you have to start paying someone to look into this...considering the value of this G5...you don't want to spend too much.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
iaindixon

Apple Airport Extreme Card (refurb) - Upgrade Your Mac

thats the product i bought.. if u go back to the websites main page then go to G5 section it gives the same airport card for both variations..
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
thats the product i bought.. if u go back to the websites main page then go to G5 section it gives the same airport card for both variations..
Thanks for the link with photo.

My question is...were you actually successful in COMPLETELY installing this card?:

Two things need to be done:

1. The "pins" on the right side (in the photo) need to be completely inserted into a slot on the logic board.
2. The airport antenna wire needs to be plugged into the card.

If you were successful in completing both steps...then I would say that the card is bad.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

As Nick states, depends on what model 2005 G5 you have. The early model uses a different card to the Late 2005, which are Dual Core models. A Dual Core requires an Airport/Bluetooth combo card which also requires a 'stand off' card and two lots of mounting rivets and screws.

You can see how important it is to get the correct model identification.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IP address change? | Internet has full connection but pages do not load »