New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

iphone 4s wifi problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

satch123

satch123 is on a distinguished road

hey im new to this forum just signed up because if been looking all over internet for info on how to fix my iphone 4s wifi problem.

ive recently just upgraded my iphone 3gs to i phone 4s and and having difficulty working out how to connect to internet through my home hub. my 3g worked fine on it previously, i can connect to my wifi fine when i enter password etc.. it showing full bar signal on iphone 4s but when i go to use internet it says its not connected.
when i click on blue arrow next to router im using in settings ive noticed the ip address starts with 169. i understand that this means it is not connected. the the subnet mask field is filled in but all the other fields are blank.

ive tried a million times clicking reset network and also forget network etc... but this doesnt fix problem.

its not a problem with phone because the wifi works on other networks fine

your help and support on how to go about fixing this would be appriciated.

many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Does your home network have any kind of security enabled or is it using MAC addressing for access to the network?

QUOTE Thanks
satch123

satch123 is on a distinguished road

no not that i know off, other laptops and phones have recently connected to it no problem.

thanks for getting back
QUOTE Thanks
Norahs_dad

Norahs_dad is on a distinguished road

I too had really slow wifi on my new iphone 4S. I tryed updating firmware on my
Routter resetting the iPhone with a fresh ios5. Resetting the phones network setting. All the wile old 3G and my wife's 3GS on ios5 was screaming along with
The web and videos , videos on the 4S weren't watchable. I tryed other wifi hotspots and they all were slow except apples After trying all that apple replaced my iPhone, didn't help new phone was just as slow. So I gave up and tryed a new n600 router that fixed it. Supper fast wifi now It still is like the edge at the free wifi hot spots but they are also probably running 4 year old routters like mine I am just glad it works at home and apple will problubly put out a fix for it because we are not the only one with this problem. But it was unusable before with the old routter I was getting .20 down and 9.20 up, now I am getting 24.97 down and 8.73 up that is spot on for my Internet speeds.
QUOTE Thanks
jpbl1976

jpbl1976 is on a distinguished road

You may want to try changing your i4s's wifi DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.8.4 -- these are google's public DNS servers. I had the same problem -- using a NetGear WNDR3700 router and it worked for me.

To do so, go to your iPhone 4s's settings > wi-fi > (your network name) > press the blue arrow > DNS (it's the 4th item after Router) > change the DNS to either of the 2 above.

Hope this helped.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't connect to FIOS wifi with XP bootcamp | How to remove a random script »