New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

help me extend my network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

swstacker

swstacker is on a distinguished road

Here is my setup. DSL internet connection with a linksys wireless router connected directly to the dsl modem. It is located pretty much in the center of my house.

The wireless signal reached throughout my house. I bought an airport express to get internet for my sons xbox360. It only has a wired connection and is no where near the dsl modem. This works fine and I also hooked the airport express up to the stereo system and airplay works nicely.

I have a workshop (metal building) that is about 75' from my house with no obstructions between the two. I can take my ipad and stand by the workshop door (outside the building) and I get a weak but usable signal but as soon as I go inside the workshop I lose signal. I would like to get internet signal to the shop. Trenching in a ethernet cable is not going to be easy as I have sprinkler system, buried electric lines, septic tank, sidewalks, concrete patio, fences, etc. I would like to do it wirelessly and am looking for ideas.

On the house side I am thinking I would need to either add another wireless access point of some sort in the house and place it right by a window facing the shop or move my current router close to a window facing the shop.

On the shop side I am thinking I would need some sort of range extender with an external antenna to get the signal through the metal building?

Any ideas or recommendations?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

If the electrical wiring from your house feeds the workshop consider a pair of ethernet over power adapters (one attached to the router, one plugged in the workshop).

Connect the workshop one to an airport express or old router if you need wifi.

Alternatively you can get a router (in bridge mode). Placed in the house as close as possible to the workshop to relay/extend/boost the wifi to the workshop. If you choose the right kit you could attach a directional and/or external antenna.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
blairtechguy

blairtechguy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server

I agree with mrplow. Ethernet over power or a directional antenna will do the trick. You could also consider a wireless repeater.

Blair Technology Group - Mac System Administrator
QUOTE Thanks
swstacker

Thanks for replies. Actually the workshop and house do not share electric lines. They are each on separate meters.

I am not really up on all the wireless repeater technology. What specifically do I need? Can I just move my existing wireless router closer to the window facing the shop and then put a wireless repeater inside the shop with some sort of external antenna outside the shop facing the house? Do these things have two antennas - one for uplink and one for local connections? If I put an external antenna outside the metal building and it is the only antenna I don't see the signal working too good inside the building
QUOTE Thanks
blairtechguy

blairtechguy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server

You cant 'face' a router that broadcasts radio signals, they are omni-directional. You could try directional antenna which will essence point the signals focus to your shop I think that will be your best option.

Blair Technology Group - Mac System Administrator
QUOTE Thanks
swstacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairtechguy View Post
You cant 'face' a router that broadcasts radio signals, they are omni-directional. You could try directional antenna which will essence point the signals focus to your shop I think that will be your best option.
When I was talking about "facing" them I meant putting them on the sides of the two separate buildings so that there were minimal obstructions between the two. Essentially trying to get line of sight between them.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I would go with directional antennas. WiFi Antennas | Directional Wireless Antenna Products
QUOTE Thanks
Sparticu$

Sparticu$ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 2.9 GHz i7 8 GB RAM, MacBook Pro Mid 2009 13" 2.26 GHz 4 GB RAM

Or buy a cheap Linksys router and install DD-WRT on it and set it up as a repeater.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« BearExtender for Mac | newbie needs HELP with wireless in mac book pro »