New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

VBox bridge to lo0

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

razi

razi is on a distinguished road

Hi to all,
I have installed Virtualbox to have a virtual networks of different OSs on my Mac. I want to instal a network for those Virtual Machines. As far as I'm concerned, in Windows I need to change my network card preferences to Bridge and choose Loopback adapter. I Mac I couldn't find the lo0 adapter to use it to bridge. when I issue ifconfig, it says that lo0 is running. The question is how can I have access and bridge to my virtual interface.
I hope I could explained it clearly.
tnx
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by razi View Post
Hi to all,
I have installed Virtualbox to have a virtual networks of different OSs on my Mac. I want to instal a network for those Virtual Machines. As far as I'm concerned, in Windows I need to change my network card preferences to Bridge and choose Loopback adapter. I Mac I couldn't find the lo0 adapter to use it to bridge. when I issue ifconfig, it says that lo0 is running. The question is how can I have access and bridge to my virtual interface.
I hope I could explained it clearly.
tnx
Doesn't VirtualBox offer the option of using NAT? If it does, you shouldn't have to do anything special in order to see each VM on the same network just as you would with physical machines connected to the same router.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
razi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Doesn't VirtualBox offer the option of using NAT? If it does, you shouldn't have to do anything special in order to see each VM on the same network just as you would with physical machines connected to the same router.
Thanks for your reply,
Actually it does, but what I want is a separate network from the host machine. When I change to NAT all virtual machines get the same IP address like 10.0.2.15. I want to install a domain network so it won't help me.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for your reply,
Actually it does, but what I want is a separate network from the host machine. When I change to NAT all virtual machines get the same IP address like 10.0.2.15. I want to install a domain network so it won't help me.
On a NAT network, each machine should get a distinct IP in the same subnet. So, for example 10.0.2.15, 10.0.2.16, 10.0.2.17 and so on....

When I was studying for my MCSE, this is exactly how I built my "network", although I used VMWare at the time (this was back in '03).

Coincidentally, this is pretty much how real, enterprise-scale networks are built. The organization will have one or more public IPs, but internal clients and servers will use NAT on a private network.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
razi

Quote:
On a NAT network, each machine should get a distinct IP in the same subnet. So, for example 10.0.2.15, 10.0.2.16, 10.0.2.17 and so on....

When I was studying for my MCSE, this is exactly how I built my "network", although I used VMWare at the time (this was back in '03).

Coincidentally, this is pretty much how real, enterprise-scale networks are built. The organization will have one or more public IPs, but internal clients and servers will use NAT on a private network.
I tried the VMWare and there is exactly what you said. NAT is enabled and every machine has his own ip address. Now everything is okay? I mean now I can make my own domain and apply different scenarios?
I've studied Netwokr+, xp, server 2003, infraI, and infraII. but all have got rusty. I want to start again. could you tell me what's better to do?
Respect!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
I tried the VMWare and there is exactly what you said. NAT is enabled and every machine has his own ip address. Now everything is okay? I mean now I can make my own domain and apply different scenarios?
I've studied Netwokr+, xp, server 2003, infraI, and infraII. but all have got rusty. I want to start again. could you tell me what's better to do?
Respect!
Yes, that should work for what you're trying to do.

Network+ is a great vendor-neutral, entry-level cert that ought to be fairly easy to get before you move into the MS or Cisco stuff (depending on your career goals).

QUOTE Thanks
razi

Quote:
Yes, that should work for what you're trying to do.

Network+ is a great vendor-neutral, entry-level cert that ought to be fairly easy to get before you move into the MS or Cisco stuff (depending on your career goals).
I appreciate your taking the time to respond. That was so nice of you.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Also, one other thing came to mind on the certs - I think MS allowed me to use my Network+ as a credit toward my MCSA. Not sure if they still do that, but it got me out of having to take one particular test (it might have been in tandem with the A+, its been awhile and I don't quite remember how it worked). So, there's another pro toward going with the N+.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac mini not seeing Qwest wireless network | Wireless help? »