New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Yellow icon in Airport Utility

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

plumpety

plumpety is on a distinguished road

I'm a little ashamed I can't figure this out. I have exhausted google, apple help docs, apple help, and a few other resources and still can't seem to get a solid answer.

In Airport Utility, when connected specifically to something like an Express or a Time Capsule, or Extreme, they are listed on the left with little icon bubbles that show a status indicator.

I have seen green all the time.

At the in-laws, I see yellow. I have no idea what all the possible colors are, or what yellow means. I didn't try to troubleshoot it, as everything is working fine. They are online, backing up to a Time Capsule, and performance appears normal, but I wold like to eventually get back to green and learn where I go for these docs.

The area in question looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/OOJLf.png
( This is not a screenshot of our particular Airport Utility screens )

Thanks for any help you can provide.
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

Yellow means that the Extreme, Time Capsule or Express is not making a communicating with your ISP's modem.

If it was working before, sometimes rebooting the ISP's Modem and then the Apple product can restablish that connection.

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks
plumpety

plumpety is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHH View Post
Yellow means that the Extreme, Time Capsule or Express is not making a communicating with your ISP's modem.

If it was working before, sometimes rebooting the ISP's Modem and then the Apple product can restablish that connection.

DavidH
Where did you get the information that the yellow status indicator means that? Is there a manual or tech info library note I can read? Are there other colors as well?

What is odd, is the connection was fine. I had run a few speed tests, we were visiting websites, and uploading photos to be printed and picked up by Costco. Nothing about the connection was not working, and as far as I could tell, the laptop was connected to the correct network, as I was running a Time Machine backup to the Time Capsule while all this was going on, not to mention printing out files to a local printer.

Any ideas? Maybe it the yellow can mean more than one thing?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Mine will do this on occasion. It usually means that my old AP Extreme downstairs has stopped working and needs to be reset. Sometimes if I ignore it, it will just go away...

QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Typically, the yellow indicator just means that some setting on the base station isn't optimal for security. It doesn't mean something is necessarily broken, just not the recommended configuration. If you log into the base station, it should prompt you with the discrepancies, and then prompt you to fix them or ignore them - either one will make the indicator go green again.
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumpety View Post
Where did you get the information that the yellow status indicator means that? Is there a manual or tech info library note I can read? Are there other colors as well?

What is odd, is the connection was fine. I had run a few speed tests, we were visiting websites, and uploading photos to be printed and picked up by Costco. Nothing about the connection was not working, and as far as I could tell, the laptop was connected to the correct network, as I was running a Time Machine backup to the Time Capsule while all this was going on, not to mention printing out files to a local printer.

Any ideas? Maybe it the yellow can mean more than one thing?
Sorry if my comment was not correct for your situation, perhaps it was only in my situation that it reflected not having a connection to my ISP.

Anyway here is the official Apple Knowlege Base Article describing the meaning of the Status Lights.
Wi-Fi base stations: All about Wi-Fi Base Station Status Lights (LED)

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Any wireless routers that can handle a Mac and PC? | Airport Extreme + external drive or NAS device, Please help »