New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Home Wireless Connection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nzmanu

nzmanu is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Mac Book Pro and have a relatively new Wireless system installed at home. I have the problem that every time my computer goes to sleep or the screen shuts off and I begin to use the machine again, I get the message that none of my preferred networks are available.

It then asks me for my password which I type in 100% correctly and it keeps saying invalid password even though it is the right password. If i hit enter enough times it eventually connects to the internet although the connection status at the top of the screen still flashes and indicates that it is still searching for a connection. I asked a friend who knows a lot about Macs and he said sometimes you just need to run a software update, which I have done and still no luck!

Does anyone know how I can get my laptop to always recognise my connection even when it has been put to sleep or I close the lid? Thanks so much!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Moved here to the proper forum.

As to your problem: Which method of encryption are you using for your wireless network? And, are you broadcasting the SSID (network name)? The error you describe is a known problem when using WEP encryption. WEP is unreliable and is not secure. If you are using WEP, switch to either WPA or WPA2.
QUOTE Thanks
nzmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Moved here to the proper forum.

As to your problem: Which method of encryption are you using for your wireless network? And, are you broadcasting the SSID (network name)? The error you describe is a known problem when using WEP encryption. WEP is unreliable and is not secure. If you are using WEP, switch to either WPA or WPA2.
Under the Network Preferences > Wi-Fi, it says my Wireless Network name and then WPA/WPA2 Personal. Is that right?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzmanu View Post
Under the Network Preferences > Wi-Fi, it says my Wireless Network name and then WPA/WPA2 Personal. Is that right?
Then click on Advanced then it will show you WPA/WPA2 in WI-FI.
QUOTE Thanks
nzmanu

Ok thanks yeah I've done that, although they were the settings it was already on so I'm not sure if its going to fix the problem. I couldn't tell you atm if its fixed or not because sometimes it comes up with the error message when i come back to my computer and sometimes it doesn't. Is there any other possibilities that could be wrong with it?
QUOTE Thanks
nzmanu

Ok nah problem still exists.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time capsule connectivity issues | Erase browsing history on Firefox? »