New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Extreme + external drive or NAS device, Please help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nolefan

nolefan is on a distinguished road

I have been searching all over the internet trying to figure out the best solution for what I need and stumbled on this forum. Hope you all can help.

My problem: I have a family of 5 and many apple devices, to include two macbook pro's, an iPad, two iPhones, and two iPod touches. All of which take photos and sync music ect. I currently have the wireless home network running with an apple airport extreme with a 160gB external drive attached to the USB port. I was backing up to the external drive via time machine. It has now filled up.

My question: I am looking to purchase a larger external drive to replace the 160gB, but have noticed the NAS devices sold online as well. I would like to have place to back up my laptops via time machine, and (if possible) create a central storage place for all of our thousands of photos and music. What are the advantages of the NAS devices? Or do I just need a larger external drive (2TB)?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Nolefan
QUOTE Thanks
sfam198

sfam198 is on a distinguished road

The NAS is going to take a lot more configuration to get it to the point of "It just works" you would get with Time Machine and a large external drive. It will also be a more expensive investment for little gain. As your storage needs increase, you will still need to purchase bigger/more hard drives.

Question: How long has the 160GB drive taken to fill up? You say you have Time Machine connected to that drive. Are all your other devices using that for storage as well?

My suggestion would be to get a large drive (2 TB) and partition it. Then, use one partition for Time Machine backups and the other for storage. Depending on how long it took to fill up the 160 GB drive you have currently, this setup could last you a LONG time. Even partitioning the drive in half (1 TB per partition), each "drive" would be over 6 times as large as what you have now.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I tend to keep one drive for Time Machine only and even Apple recommends this and on the other drive (separate USB soon to be a WD MyBook Live everything else) for the rest of the family to sends odds and ends they want to keep mainly photos and videos.
QUOTE Thanks
msharp

msharp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB HD, OSX10.9

I too have been thinking of this setup.
Wouldn't the NAS hard drive, connected to the Gigabit Ethernet be a faster option than the USB port.
Will Time Machine work with a NAS setup connected to my Airport Extreme?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharp View Post
I too have been thinking of this setup.
Wouldn't the NAS hard drive, connected to the Gigabit Ethernet be a faster option than the USB port.
Will Time Machine work with a NAS setup connected to my Airport Extreme?
A NAS is still on my short list but WD says it will work with TM and Lion on their
website as far as speed another member will have to give you a comparison.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Yellow icon in Airport Utility | How to connect to internet using cellphone? »