Setting up wireless access point
    I'm trying to set up a TP-LINK TL-WA500G wireless access point and haven't been able to get my mac to sync up with it wirelessly. I connected it to a switch that's connected by an ethernet cable to a wider network. Then I set up the wifi using a Windows computer that's also wired to the switch.

I set up the IP address of the router as 192.168.1.254 and my computer as 192.168.1.101 using manual configuration. I didn't touch the DNS setting. My Mac connects to the access point without a problem, but I don't have any internet access. Any thoughts? I also tried setting the access point up using my Mac and that didn't help anything.

Oh, I'm using a WPA2 personal password encryption if that makes any difference.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Does the Mac work if it is wired into the network? Do you have any other machines you can use to test the wireless access point? Is there any reason you're using manual configuration and not DHCP? Did you set the default gateway and subnet mask correctly?

Specs:
    Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server
    Quote Originally Posted by sfam198 View Post
    Does the Mac work if it is wired into the network? Do you have any other machines you can use to test the wireless access point? Is there any reason you're using manual configuration and not DHCP? Did you set the default gateway and subnet mask correctly?
    Exactly this. It sounds like you may just need to configure the AP a bit more.
    Blair Technology Group - Mac System Administrator

Similar Problem
    Hey! I am having a similar problem. I have moved into a new apartment with internet connection already here, and am trying to get my TP-Link TL-WR542G router to work with it. I have managed to manually set up the router several times with different address numbers (at the moment 192.168.1.10) and can manage to connect to where the little lights on the network diagnostic tool get to "ISP" in green, but the Internet and Server is always in yellow. I can connect through the cable straight to the net, so I know it's not the connection, it has to be my router, but I am completely stumped as to what else to do. Unfortunately I cannot call my isp for help as I am in a non-English speaking country and they can't help me no matter how much I scream at them!

Any advice you can give this frazzled lady would be greatly appreciated! I am at my wits end! Thank you!!!!

Thread Information