New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

What is the best dsl modem w/ Time Capsule?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aestheticxxlove

aestheticxxlove will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4

Hello!

I currently have a Netgear all-in-one setup (Modem+Router) with DSL CenturyLink. I don't have any issues with it but I am considering getting the 2TB Time Capsule to eliminating having to remember to back everything up. Being in college I am constantly having to back up assignments. I have done some research and it seems that getting a standalone modem would be best rather than keeping my all-in-one setup. My question is, what is best dsl modem (for CenturyLink) that will give me the best with the time capsule? Or what is the best dsl modem in general? My internet connection is only 7MP but I use it for everything, Macbook Pro, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, Xbox. So reliability is very important. I also would like something a little more up to date. I am not concerned about the price, just looking to get the best setup.

Your help is appreciated!

Britney
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

When clients don't want the providers modem and its compatible we use the Motorola Surfboard. You could try the TC in bridge mode before you spend any money and see how you like it with your existing gear just a thought.
QUOTE Thanks
aestheticxxlove

Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
When clients don't want the providers modem and its compatible we use the Motorola Surfboard. You could try the TC in bridge mode before you spend any money and see how you like it with your existing gear just a thought.
My DSL is not compatible with the Surfboard.I may try just bridging it but would really prefer to have a standalone modem.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

As suggested try it in bridge mode first and see how it goes for you. I have run one that way many times without issue. If you do get a standalone modem just make sure that your VPI/VCI settings are correct in your config. This varies by provider and can cause headaches if set wrong.

As far as brands go, Speedstream, Netopia, and Motorola boxes should work just fine.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Mini Server 2.53GHz | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 32GB Verizon iPhone 5S | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
aestheticxxlove

Does anybody here have CenturyLink? What modem do you have?

Also does anyone know where I can get the newest 2TB time capsule for a good price? I would like a new one or at least like new. I am keeping an eye out on craigslist and Ebay but nothing really seems to be the "great buy".

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestheticxxlove View Post
Also does anyone know where I can get the newest 2TB time capsule for a good price?
Thanks!
What is a good price to you? You can get the refurb models from Apple for $249 (2009 model) and $259 for the current model.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Mini Server 2.53GHz | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 32GB Verizon iPhone 5S | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
aestheticxxlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
What is a good price to you? You can get the refurb models from Apple for $249 (2009 model) and $259 for the current model.
I want the most recent version. I found one on Ebay for $255.00, so I will probably go with that.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestheticxxlove View Post
I want the most recent version. I found one on Ebay for $255.00, so I will probably go with that.
Remember that the refurb model from Apple for $4 more will give you a full warranty.

QUOTE Thanks
aestheticxxlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
Remember that the refurb model from Apple for $4 more will give you a full warranty.
On Ebay I don't have to pay for taxes. What do you mean by full warranty? The one on Ebay is brand new never opened, so wouldn't it have a year warranty on it?
QUOTE Thanks
aestheticxxlove

Of course- I missed the deal on eBay! The search continues..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Internet Connectivity Problems!! Help!! | Networking troubles between Mac and Windows »