Direct TV wireless internet
    Hi guys,

I am on an iMAC G4 20" Flat panel and using AT&T u-verse internet, gateway modem and router all in one. I want to hook up my direct tv to the internet wirelessly. I was wondering if I could hook up an airport extreme base station to the back of my direct tv receiver via ethernet cable and get internet on my TV? I have an airport card installed and have a network connection. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Direct TV keeps giving me different answers from different people and of course wanting me to purchase their product which they say requires a tech. to come out and install after another person with Direct TV said I could install it myself. Thanks

Specs:
    -->
    Are you looking to get one receiver online for on demand, or looking at the whole home dvr setup?
    13" rMBP 256gb | Mac Mini | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6s Plus | 64GB iPad Air 2 LTE | 16GB iPad mini 2 | Gen 7 Nano | Gen 4 iPod Touch | TV1 | TV3 | TV4 | Watch Sport 42mm Space Gray

Just one.

Specs:
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by ggmen1 View Post
    Just one.
    You don't need an Airport Extreme to accomplish this. You can do it with a wireless/ethernet bridge device. The Airport Express ($69 on Apple refurb) would do the job. Set the device to connect to your U-Verse wireless RG and take ethernet cable to the DTV box. Netgear and Cisco also make good bridges.

Hope this helps...
    13" rMBP 256gb | Mac Mini | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6s Plus | 64GB iPad Air 2 LTE | 16GB iPad mini 2 | Gen 7 Nano | Gen 4 iPod Touch | TV1 | TV3 | TV4 | Watch Sport 42mm Space Gray

Direct TV wireless internet
    Thanks JohnCL. I already have the airport extreme base station and not using it. I am on a desktop. No laptops in the house. Just want to connect the internet to one HD DVR plus receiver. (Direct TV) to utilize the best viewing experience. Would it be better to connect via powerline? And how would I do that? Not sure if airport express is compatible with my system? Thanks

Specs:
    -->
    You should be able to put your AEBS in the mode to extend wireless network. It will communicate back to your AT&T gateway via wireless, and then your ethernet ports can be hooked up to the ethernet port on the the DirecTV box.

An airport express will join the wireless network just as any other wireless device and give you the ability to convert wireless to ethernet. Anyway, the hardware that you have should work for what you need to accomplish.

Specs:
    -->
    Thinking more about this I am not sure if the extend a wireless network feature would work. I am not sure if the ethernet ports would be active. You may just have to do some experimenting with the setup.

Let me know how it goes.

Thread Information