New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Direct TV wireless internet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ggmen1

ggmen1 is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

I am on an iMAC G4 20" Flat panel and using AT&T u-verse internet, gateway modem and router all in one. I want to hook up my direct tv to the internet wirelessly. I was wondering if I could hook up an airport extreme base station to the back of my direct tv receiver via ethernet cable and get internet on my TV? I have an airport card installed and have a network connection. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Direct TV keeps giving me different answers from different people and of course wanting me to purchase their product which they say requires a tech. to come out and install after another person with Direct TV said I could install it myself. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Are you looking to get one receiver online for on demand, or looking at the whole home dvr setup?

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 64GB LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
ggmen1

Just one.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggmen1 View Post
Just one.
You don't need an Airport Extreme to accomplish this. You can do it with a wireless/ethernet bridge device. The Airport Express ($69 on Apple refurb) would do the job. Set the device to connect to your U-Verse wireless RG and take ethernet cable to the DTV box. Netgear and Cisco also make good bridges.

Hope this helps...

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 64GB LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
ggmen1

Thanks JohnCL. I already have the airport extreme base station and not using it. I am on a desktop. No laptops in the house. Just want to connect the internet to one HD DVR plus receiver. (Direct TV) to utilize the best viewing experience. Would it be better to connect via powerline? And how would I do that? Not sure if airport express is compatible with my system? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

You should be able to put your AEBS in the mode to extend wireless network. It will communicate back to your AT&T gateway via wireless, and then your ethernet ports can be hooked up to the ethernet port on the the DirecTV box.

An airport express will join the wireless network just as any other wireless device and give you the ability to convert wireless to ethernet. Anyway, the hardware that you have should work for what you need to accomplish.

QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

Thinking more about this I am not sure if the extend a wireless network feature would work. I am not sure if the ethernet ports would be active. You may just have to do some experimenting with the setup.

Let me know how it goes.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« [help~] Mbp connected but no Internet, while mb has! | iMac really slow wifi! »