New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Terrible wireless speeds with AEBS 4th Generation

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gripper

Gripper is on a distinguished road

I have no problem with the internet throughput from my Airport Extreme Base Station 802.11n (4th generation, v. 7.5.2) to my iMac.

BUT...the speed slows down dramatically (from 16 Mbps measured by Speedtest on the iMac) to approx 2 Mbps on my iPhone 4 or iPad 2, even when they are in the same room as the router!

I've tried using iStumbler to see if any nearby routers are using the same channel (I changed from 11 to 9), tried using the Guest Network setting, but nothing has worked.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That is a strange one. Let me try the same speed test on my iPhone/iPad here as on my iMac and I will report back.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I have the same AEBS with 7.5.2 and my line is 12Mbps which I only get 11.41/1.41
on Uverse wired or wireless but both my iPhone and iPad get 10.80/1.41.
With that said I would definitely check your AEBS settings keeping in mind that the iPhone will only do N on the 2.4GHz radio not 5 GHz and my iPad although N capable likes 2.4GHz better.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I am using a Dlink DIR-655 and DSL. My speeds on the iPad were the same as on my iMac but my DSL is 3MB. Maybe at faster speeds there would be more difference. Yours sounds way too high to me though.

Are you using the exact same speed test on all systems?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I used Speedtest.net for all 3.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Same here as there is an app for IOS for SpeedTest.net so figured it would be the best one to compare.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

I had a similar problem with a Time Capsule and some Airport Expresses - with my iPhone and iPad. I would get less than 1Mbit on wireless even though wired was over 20Mbit. I upgraded my Cable modem to a DOCIS 3.0 capable modem and I now get a similar speed ~20Mbit wired or wireless. It also shows when using streaming video like Youtube - the performance is much better on my iOS devices. The only thing I changed was my cable modem.

All tests performed using Speedtest.net
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about the program Tor | Printer Install and hook up »