New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

internet randomly stops working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tvojtasek

tvojtasek is on a distinguished road

ok so ive been having serious internet problems lately. my internet worked fine for months, but ever since ive been back home from school it isnt working properly. most of the time it works fine. but sometimes it randomly shuts off and is very frustrating. sometimes for only a few minutes, sometimes for hours, sometimes for days. i would also like to note that the internet also does not work at the same time on my mothers pc, which is connected directly to the router via ethernet. i can guarantee you that everything is connected properly. ive made sure of this over and over. also, it is not a router issue, as i just went to best buy and purchaced a brand new netgear g600 high speed router. i really dont know what to do. it is connected perfectly, just randomly cuts in and out

here are my router stats
Hardware Version WNDR3400
Firmware Version V1.0.0.38_16.0.48
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.38_2.1.9.1

Internet Port
MAC Address A0:21:B7:80:05:CE
IP Address 98.235.146.194
DHCP DHCPClient
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.248.0
Domain Name Server

LAN Port
MAC Address A0:21:B7:80:05:CD
IP Address 192.168.1.1
DHCP On
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Wireless Port
Wireless Settings (2.4GHz b/g/n)
Name (SSID) blumpkin
Region North America
Channel Auto ( 6(P)+2(S) )
Mode Up to 300 Mbps
Wireless AP On
Broadcast Name On
Wireless isolation Off
Wi-Fi Protected Setup Configured
Wireless Settings (5GHz a/n)
Name (SSID) blumpkin
Region North America
Channel 44(P)+48(S)
Mode Up to 300 Mbps

somebody please help me with this issue, as it is extremely frustrating.
Wireless AP On
Broadcast Name On
Wireless isolation Off
Wi-Fi Protected Setup Configured
QUOTE Thanks
tvojtasek

tvojtasek is on a distinguished road

also, i have contacted Comcast, my isp, and they came out and checked everything to be fine. my only guess is that there may be an issue with the modem overheating or something of the sort, something comcast didnt notice.

note: internet was functioning properly when comcast came out to check
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you have 2 computers without access simultaneously, one ethernet and one wifi, one windows and one Mac, the issue is either the router or more likely the ISP.

Have you checked the modem when it's out to see if the light for internet connection is working during those times? Have you tried resetting the router during those times?

Does it occur during or just after a rain? If so, I dealt with this issue for almost 2 years with Comcast and got no satisfaction until Time Warner bought them out in our area. A cap back down the line was filling up with water and would knock our service out for 24-48 hours after a rain. And of course, by the time Comcast would send a tech out, it would have dried out and there would be no problem. TW had it fixed the 2nd rain storm we had after they took over. Of course they had to send out 2 techs at different times, 1 typical and 1 real one.

If this is your issue, you're going to be hard pressed to get a response from Comcast to get them out to check the line while the outage is actually occurring. You're going to have to call them every single time it goes out, whether for 10 minutes or a day. They will refuse to come out while you have the problem unless it's been reported three times during in the same month.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
badshoehabit

badshoehabit will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro MC721: 500GB 15.4" 16GB Core i7 OS Mavericks 10.9.2 iPhone 4s 16gb

Wifi can be affected by the box being physically too close to other electronic/electrical/digital equipment. After several frustrating months of the connection randomly cutting out I turned to my ISP's website which gave me this info. Moved my digital phone base station away from wifi box and internet has worked perfectly ever since. (Made the same reply on a similar thread).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« airport express issues | can't print to network printer since WPA password set up »